Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have been accepted to the Film MA (taught) program at Kent's Paris location for next Autumn, and I am considering continuing on for my PhD the following year at Kent. In the States the whole process from MA to PhD is quite different, and I am wondering if I should be doing more right now to get ready to apply for the PhD, for instance, contacting potential supervisors, attending conferences, etc. I ask because it seems that I will need to have a research topic nailed down by the end of this Autumn in order to apply for a PhD program the following year. I do have a pretty clear idea of what specifically I want to study, but I have been out of school for a few years and feel I might be a bit rusty. I am assuming that while in the MA program this autumn I will have plenty of time to really develop and refine a research topic. Perhaps I can just continue watching films and reading about film as I have been until I start school in the Autumn. Nonetheless, I figured I should try and get an idea of how students in the UK typically prepare for postgraduate study and what I should expect.

I am also wondering how common it is for MA students at Kent to stay at Kent for their PhD. I can foresee both advantages and disadvantages.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.