The Student Room Group

Statistics or Decision?

So I have to decide pretty soon whether to take S1 and S2 or D1 and D2 for my maths A-level.

Does anybody know which of these combinations is easier to self-teach and easier generally in terms of exam difficulty? I'll be doing the Edexcel specification, if that makes any difference.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
So I have to decide pretty soon whether to take S1 and S2 or D1 and D2 for my maths A-level.

Does anybody know which of these combinations is easier to self-teach and easier generally in terms of exam difficulty? I'll be doing the Edexcel specification, if that makes any difference.

I did AQA, but it might be similar. D1 was incredibly easy, and S1 wasn't too hard either - it was mostly memorising definitions. D2 was a lot harder than D1 though, and I didn't take S2. From a Uni perspective, S1 and 2 are much more useful than the respective decision modules.
Reply 2

maybe S1 and D1
Original post by TimGB
I did AQA, but it might be similar. D1 was incredibly easy, and S1 wasn't too hard either - it was mostly memorising definitions. D2 was a lot harder than D1 though, and I didn't take S2. From a Uni perspective, S1 and 2 are much more useful than the respective decision modules.

That's what I thought. :/ It's between S2 and D2 for me, really.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Original post by TeeEm
maybe S1 and D1

I would do that if I could, but I really feel that I'm better off focusing on one or the other. Would you say that S2 is easier or harder than D2, for the average person? I'm leaning towards S2 at the moment because, as the poster above has said, statistics is a lot more useful for maths at university.

Reply 4
That's what I thought. :/ It's between S2 and D2 for me, really.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

I would do that if I could, but I really feel that I'm better off focusing on one or the other. Would you say that S2 is easier or harder than D2, for the average person? I'm leaning towards S2 at the moment because, as the poster above has said, statistics is a lot more useful for maths at university.

I know nothing about D1 and D2

S2 is a bit harder than S1
I did S1 last year and doing D1 this year, both AQA

maths is completely irrelevant to what i want to study and i just wanted the easiest A possible. for me personally, S1 was really a drag my teacher was garbage and i scraped an A in the exam because sometimes i found it hard to interpret Qs

D1 is very straightforward and admittedly i havent done a single past paper [ or any work :frown: ] im sure the exam will be easier than s1

therefore, D1 for me
I've found that the content/exams for D1 were easier, but it's much harder to self-teach because there are less resources available for it. Not sure about S2/D2 but I'd imagine the same applies. I'm doing MEI though, I think there are more resources for Edexcel.
Original post by TeeEm
I know nothing about D1 and D2

S2 is a bit harder than S1

Original post by hi-zen-berg
I did S1 last year and doing D1 this year, both AQA

maths is completely irrelevant to what i want to study and i just wanted the easiest A possible. for me personally, S1 was really a drag my teacher was garbage and i scraped an A in the exam because sometimes i found it hard to interpret Qs

D1 is very straightforward and admittedly i havent done a single past paper [ or any work :frown: ] im sure the exam will be easier than s1

therefore, D1 for me

Original post by JordanL_
I've found that the content/exams for D1 were easier, but it's much harder to self-teach because there are less resources available for it. Not sure about S2/D2 but I'd imagine the same applies. I'm doing MEI though, I think there are more resources for Edexcel.

Alright, think I'll go for S2. :biggrin: The resources for stats are probably more significant than the resources for decision.

Thanks for all your help!

Edit: Although any further comments about the difficulty of S2 compared to D2 from other members is still much appreciated. :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Alright, think I'll go for S2. :biggrin: The resources for stats are probably more significant than the resources for decision.

Thanks for all your help!

Edit: Although any further comments about the difficulty of S2 compared to D2 from other members is still much appreciated. :colondollar:

i'd just run with S1 and D1 really they are both a walk in the park, but im sure you'll be fine regardless of your choices

fair enough bro/sis! best of luck
Original post by hi-zen-berg
i'd just run with S1 and D1 really they are both a walk in the park, but im sure you'll be fine regardless of your choices

fair enough bro/sis! best of luck

Thank you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest