Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mega A Level Maths Thread - Mark V Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Let's not forget that physicsmaths got an A at GCSE too
    No way????

physicsmaths is this true??

Tbf GCSE is crap some people in my class who got A*s actually failed AS Y12 lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    I want to do an English degree, kek

I wanted to take maths though, to vary my choices(I'm planning to take English lit, psychology, french & maths) and keep my options open.
    and I've heard how "respected" the maths A level is, so I figured I could take it.
    You shouldn't take a course merely because it's respected. But if you think you'll enjoy it and can give it a reasonable shot then go for it .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    No way????

physicsmaths is this true??
    Is it shocking he didn't get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Is it shocking he didn't get an A*?
    Very shocking considering he got selected for Trinity Camp from BMO2
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    aymanzayedmannan and Student403, do you wish to be helpers?

ReputationRep:
    Sure would love to - thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sure. I'd love to help (can't do anything past M3 or S2 for applied though!)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very shocking considering he got selected for Trinity Camp from BMO2
    Maybe he didn't try hard or did the exam at 11 or something. I personally took it in year 10 but hadn't done any classes. I got an A. It must not be difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in GCSE Maths, should i take further maths? I am aiming for cambridge maths

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he didn't try hard or did the exam at 11 or something. I personally took it in year 10 but hadn't done any classes. I got an A. It must not be difficult.
    It really isn't and whatever his reason was, he definitely did more than enough to redeem himself lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    I got a D in GCSE Maths, should i take further maths? I am aiming for cambridge maths
    I'm pretty sure you're an undergraduate . Will you be following this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Let's not forget that physicsmaths got an A at GCSE too
    I don't think the real issue is her grades - well, there isn't an issue, but if there would be one, it'd be about choosing maths over history or something else which could stand her in good stead for her aspirations.

Physicsmaths got an A, but remember that he decided that he wanted to apply for maths at uni, so his AS level results stepped up! I don't think it's particularly fair to use him as a benchmark here.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't and whatever his reason was, he definitely did more than enough to redeem himself lol
    Robbie242 got like a C (I remember when I was better than him :eek:) and he ended up with double A*s in M and FM and now is a 2nd year at Warwick.

I am not so sure that GCSE maths grades are a good predictor of A level performance. Most people with time could probably get an A* in GCSE maths and those that didn't may have other reasons. It might even be the 11 subject workload. By the time they drop to 3 or 4, their performance might differ.

M2 is my poison of choice tonight. Maybe I'll start and make good progress on collisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I don't think the real issue is her grades - well, there isn't an issue, but if there would be one, it'd be about choosing maths over history or something else which could stand her in good stead for her aspirations.

Physicsmaths got an A, but remember that he decided that he wanted to apply for maths at uni, so his AS level results stepped up! I don't think it's particularly fair to use him as a benchmark here.
    I actually find that awesome. Pretty cool comeback

ReputationRep:
    Whos dat cheeky one thats gonna post that first question on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Whos dat cheeky one thats gonna post that first question on this thread?
    Do the honours and make it a good one!

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR is "omg only an A" a valid statement :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Zacken, I'll be wondering this soon

But when you make a trig sub you often end up square rooting the square of the function. Now sinx is odd so I suppose it doesn't matter? But in the cause of cosx, why is it okay?

Are there certain cases you should think about? No need to explain yourself but if you can point me in the direction of an appropriate webpage that would be helpful.Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Those sound cool Are you sure you don't want to do history or something at A level?
    thanks c:

well, I would do history. but because i'm "really smart", I didn't take History GCSE. so taking it as an A Level probably wouldn't be a good idea. ;P
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Only on TSR is "omg only an A" a valid statement :laugh:
    Name:  maths.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  further maths.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  104.6 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.