Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mega A Level Maths Thread - Mark V Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Yea i suppose so, it just feels a little silly reading that 40% of people get A* :dontknow: maybe its just me
    If it helps: 40% of Trinity, Cambridge students get firsts, so. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Apparently 60% of Imperial aero students graduate with firsts :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Apparently 60% of Imperial aero students graduate with firsts :erm:
    I kinda want to make a pun about soaring but I'll restrain myself.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda want to make a pun about soaring but I'll restrain myself.
    OMG that would have been perfect

ReputationRep:
    I'm not used to the high percentages I guess. I usually think ~10% should get top grade, maybe i need to change my thinking

ReputationRep:
    I'm not used to the high percentages I guess. I usually think ~10% should get top grade, maybe i need to change my thinking
    They can change as soon as we finish FM.

ReputationRep:
    I mean that they should make further maths harder, so only the top 15-20% of candidates will get A*s. Otherwise the A* FM loses value ygm?
    To be fair, the data is sort of positively skewed. Boards have been making exams more difficult and have also increased grade boundaries. Candidates are just taught to have (note that 30% of school candidates get A*s) impeccable exam technique nowadays. Also, Further Maths can include "easier" units such as M2, S2 and D2 for the A* so you don't necessarily have to be great in the "real" maths units to get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    To be fair, the data is sort of positively skewed. Boards have been making exams more difficult and also increased grade boundaries. Candidates are just taught to have (note that 30% of school candidates get A*s) impeccable exam technique nowadays. Also, Further Maths can include "easier" units such as M2, S2 and D2 for the A* so you don't necessarily have to be great in the "real" maths units to get an A*.
    This is true. In fact due to the distribution of modules with FM students, it can be easier to get an A at AS level in Maths if you just take maths than if you take FM
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No problemo! I love answering those types of questions, reinforces my own understanding.

Edit: if somebody wants, I've got a great way of making integration subs more intuitive and understandable!
    So what then of other substiutions? Sorry I'm being thick.

The substiution u=x^2 to solve \displaystyle \int xe^{x^2}dx for instance. That doesn't seem to me to be an injective substitution

ReputationRep:
    They can change as soon as we finish FM.
    Definitely If in mid august I don't get A* I wont show my face here again :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    So what then of other substiutions? Sorry I'm being think.

The substiution u=x^2 to solve \displaystyle xe^{x^2}dx for instance. That doesn't seem to me to be an injective substitution
    No, it's not injective over the reals, but your 'actual substitution' is: Let u = x^2 for x \geq 0, aaaaand, it's injective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    To be fair, the data is sort of positively skewed. Boards have been making exams more difficult and have also increased grade boundaries. Candidates are just taught to have (note that 30% of school candidates get A*s) impeccable exam technique nowadays. Also, Further Maths can include "easier" units such as M2, S2 and D2 for the A* so you don't necessarily have to be great in the "real" maths units to get an A*.
    Yea that does make a lot of sense, there's only so much the examiners can do to increase difficulty

i love the concept of the Pure Maths A-level however it means you cant do maths and further maths which sucks

ReputationRep:
    Yea that does make a lot of sense, there's only so much the examiners can do to increase difficulty

i love the concept of the Pure Maths A-level however it means you cant do maths and further maths which sucks
    I agree - it's a great idea for pure mathematicians

ReputationRep:
    what is all this pure stuff, injective ? ...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not injective over the reals, but your 'actual substitution' is: Let u = x^2 for x \geq 0, aaaaand, it's injective.
    So it never really matters then. Even if you had an integral which went from +ve to -ve because you'd just piece-wise it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    So it never really matters then. Even if you had an integral which went from +ve to -ve because you'd just piece-wise it?
    Preeeeecisely. I'll relax my condition: you can make a substitution as long as it's piecewise-injective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    what is all this pure stuff, injective ? ...
    Shhhhh it's my version of fun

ReputationRep:
    Shhhhh it's my version of fun
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3888889

ReputationRep:
    Since I've completed TeeEm's question posted, above, here's a nice extension question for anybody who does FP1 induction:

Here's a nice induction question, if you lot want to have a go at it.

Show that \displaystyle \sin 2nx = \sin (2n+1)x \cos x - \cos (2n+1)x\sin x.

Hence, by induction, prove that:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} \cos x + \cos 3x + \cos 5x + \cdots + \cos (2n-1)x = \frac{\sin 2nx}{2\sin x}

where \sin x \neq 0\end{equation*} and n \in \mathbb{N}

Solve \displaystyle \cos x + \cos 3x = \frac{1}{2}, 0 < x < \pi
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Since I've completed TeeEm's question posted, above, here's a nice extension question for anybody who does FP1 induction:
    Euclidean

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.