Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I currently have A*AA offers from Birmingham and bath, but I really cannot decide which to firm.

I've applied for Meng with industrial year at bath and Meng Chemical and energy engineering with industrial year at Birmingham.

I like the sound of the extra energy modules in the Birmingham degree but I think the huge social scene is slightly putting me off.

I want somewhere I can work on getting a first without major distraction, but at the minute feel that maybe Birmingham does have a stronger degree with good industrial ties.

If anyone has any experience of either university please help. I'm really stuck on this.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately (coming from a Bath student here) every uni will have a nightlife which can be distracting. Going out is often more fun than doing work, even in Bath!
    That said whether or not you allow yourself to be distracted is 100% your choice, the uni doesn't really matter. Birmingham will have a better nightlife but I wouldn't base a decision just on that. I'd visit the campuses and pay attention to the libraries and other facilities if I were you, and thinking about modules is definitely the right way to go

I'm loving Bath at the moment so feel free to ask me any questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lepenguinking)
    Hi,
    I currently have A*AA offers from Birmingham and bath, but I really cannot decide which to firm.

I've applied for Meng with industrial year at bath and Meng Chemical and energy engineering with industrial year at Birmingham.

I like the sound of the extra energy modules in the Birmingham degree but I think the huge social scene is slightly putting me off.

I want somewhere I can work on getting a first without major distraction, but at the minute feel that maybe Birmingham does have a stronger degree with good industrial ties.

If anyone has any experience of either university please help. I'm really stuck on this.

I disagree that Bham is much stronger (if at all) than Bath. Bath is pretty good for engineering. Bham has that RG shine sure, but engineering firms care little for that, so it would only really be a plus if you decided to scrap engineering and move into a different field post degree, that said Bath is still on many top graduate employers' radar. I certainly wouldn't take up a place based on an opinionated rep.

As stated, all universities will have a fairly hectic social side, just because Bath is smaller is fairly irrelevant.

Also you can still get a first and still enjoy the social side of uni anyway.

Don't believe that in order to get a first you need to have your head buried in your books for 4years. That would be mind numbingly painful and you'd probably have the personality of a doorknob by the time you finish, making yourself essentially unemployable, even with that first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    I disagree that Bham is much stronger (if at all) than Bath. Bath is pretty good for engineering. Bham has that RG shine sure, but engineering firms care little for that, so it would only really be a plus if you decided to scrap engineering and move into a different field post degree, that said Bath is still on many top graduate employers' radar. I certainly wouldn't take up a place based on an opinionated rep.

As stated, all universities will have a fairly hectic social side, just because Bath is smaller is fairly irrelevant.

Also you can still get a first and still enjoy the social side of uni anyway.

Don't believe that in order to get a first you need to have your head buried in your books for 4years. That would be mind numbingly painful and you'd probably have the personality of a doorknob by the time you finish, making yourself essentially unemployable, even with that first.
    ^ second all of that, fantastic advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.