Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hello lovely people!

I need your help!

I'm looking for a laptop for my blogging. I need something relatively small and lightweight with fairly decent storage and battery power.

I've tried a google search but would really appreciate your help.

My budget is up to about £300.

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated. Please include links too

Cheers,
    Hannah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Hello lovely people!

I need your help!

I'm looking for a laptop for my blogging. I need something relatively small and lightweight with fairly decent storage and battery power.

Cheers,
    Hannah
    Hi Hannah

This HP laptop would be my pick. With a 14" display and weighing under 2kg it's smaller and lighter than the average consumer laptop while still having a full sized keyboard (which is always nice to have if blogging is going to be a primary use for it), the processor doesn't quite match the Core i3 laptops that you can usually find in this price range but it will be fine for basic tasks and you won't get a newer Core i3 in a sub-15" laptop for much less than £400 anyway (if your budget could stretch that far, I would consider going for this Toshiba instead if it's going to be a long term purchase). The biggest drawback is going to be battery life, although you aren't going to find anything that will consistently get 5+ hours of charge for under £300.

ReputationRep:
    For the price you're willing to pay, you'll unfortunately get Laptops with *****y internals, battery lives and screens if you go with Windows. There are a few good options out there tho. Also, I'll assume being a blogger you'd maybe like to take your Laptop with you, so I'll avoid heavy af 15 inch laptops

If you don't mind, Chromebooks would be perfect for you, they all have amazing battery lives and are all good performers for what you'd like to do

http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-cb3...ilver/p1841467

If you'd like a Windows Laptop;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sensirevie-21 - Light, cheap, enough power for what you want, portable.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15...15-5558-laptop - Imo this is the best one to buy for Windows, very reliable, has great parts for the price and decent battery.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Gofre somemightsay888

Hey you guys,

Thanks so much for you help, it's helped massively and sorry I haven't been in touch sooner.

I got the Lenova Yoga 500 for £299 in a Currys flash sale yesterday. It's got a ton of memory and storage, quick and portable, battery life is pretty pants at 4hrs but as I always have it plugged in it's not a problem. There were similar laptops where battery life was 12 hours but the memory was like 2gb.

I haven't actually turned it on yet - as I only got it last night.... fingers crossed it works

Thanks again for your help, it really benefited my research. I'm really glad I looked in Currys yesterday too, it gives you a really good idea of what they'll be like to use and how heavy they actually are. I wouldn't have felt confident just ordering online.

Will let you know how I go with it.

Cheers
    Hannah

ReputationRep:
    Gofre somemightsay888

Hey you guys,

Thanks so much for you help, it's helped massively and sorry I haven't been in touch sooner.

I got the Lenova Yoga 500 for £299 in a Currys flash sale yesterday. It's got a ton of memory and storage, quick and portable, battery life is pretty pants at 4hrs but as I always have it plugged in it's not a problem. There were similar laptops where battery life was 12 hours but the memory was like 2gb.

I haven't actually turned it on yet - as I only got it last night.... fingers crossed it works

Thanks again for your help, it really benefited my research. I'm really glad I looked in Currys yesterday too, it gives you a really good idea of what they'll be like to use and how heavy they actually are. I wouldn't have felt confident just ordering online.

Will let you know how I go with it.

Cheers
    Hannah
    Not a bad choice, hope you enjoy :yy:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Gofre somemightsay888 me again

What anti-virus protection do you guys recommend?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I have Kaspersky Internet Protection, its pretty good although has a tendancy to not like showing images on tumblr but you can still blog and such with no problem, which is my main site. although it was perfectly fine with it when i was on there yesterday
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by katieMCR)
    I have Kaspersky Internet Protection, its pretty good although has a tendancy to not like showing images on tumblr but you can still blog and such with no problem, which is my main site. although it was perfectly fine with it when i was on there yesterday
    Aw thanks That is super helpful

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Would recommend AVG, all other ones either take up a lot of ram/cpu usage in my experience. Also the free version of AVG is great too, so if you want you don't even have to spend anything

Also Puddles the Monkey says she plans on putting many viruses on your laptop, the snake smh :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Hello lovely people!

I need your help!

Cheers,
    Hannah
    I will also suggest HP or lenevo they are light weight, good features, storage and
    battery power.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PeterLevine)
    I will also suggest HP or lenevo they are light weight, good features, storage and
    battery power.
    Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.