Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    I finish my first year in May and after thinking about it a lot recently I'm not sure if I want to carry on my study after this 1st year. This is because I haven't fully enjoyed my time at Uni and even though I find my course really interesting and like it, I don't want to waste the next 2 years (or 6 years if I do a postgrad degree) on studying and working part time when I might just end up in a normal job anyway. I feel like I would rather earn money now so I can learn to drive, save up for a home and have days out and go away on weekends to see the world. What do you think?
    I was also wondering that if I do decide to leave after finishing my first year, will I be required to pay back any loans immediately or will I only have to pay them back after I'm earning over £21,000?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJadeE)
    Hi everyone.
    I finish my first year in May and after thinking about it a lot recently I'm not sure if I want to carry on my study after this 1st year. This is because I haven't fully enjoyed my time at Uni and even though I find my course really interesting and like it, I don't want to waste the next 2 years (or 6 years if I do a postgrad degree) on studying and working part time when I might just end up in a normal job anyway. I feel like I would rather earn money now so I can learn to drive, save up for a home and have days out and go away on weekends to see the world. What do you think?
    I was also wondering that if I do decide to leave after finishing my first year, will I be required to pay back any loans immediately or will I only have to pay them back after I'm earning over £21,000?
    I wrote this last week, I hope it helps

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ead-this-first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJadeE)
    Hi everyone.
    Depends on the timing. If you complete the academic year, then your Tuition Fee Loan will be entirely repayable in instalments once you reach the earnings threshold.

Maintenance Loan/Grant is a little more awkward, as the third instalment is designed to partly fund you through the summer holiday. Any amount of your third payment which was calculated as supporting you after your official leaving date, would be repayable as a lump sum, immediately. The rest of your third installment (calculated as supporting you before your leaving date) along with all of your first and second instalments, would be repayable gradually once you reach the earnings threshold. For this reason, it's advisable to withdraw as near the start of your second year as you can, to minimise the amount you have to repay as an immediate lump sum.

Usual health warning - check direct with SF before making any decisions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.