The Student Room Group

Is this a good question for LITB4 Coursework?

It's 'It is better to obey than to rebel". To what extent is this true for Orwell's 1984 and Collins' Hunger Games?'

I want to talk about how each government controls its citizens and the methods used - and the people who seem happiest in the dystopic world are the ones blindly following or ignorant. -> Therefore it's better - evidence of Winston giving to the Party's control
Parsons + his children
- if you play the Hunger Games and to the whims of the Capitol, you'll live comfortably

But the horrific actions of both governments eg torture, mind manipluation - it's better to rebel

However that has consequences - Winston punished
+ Hunger Games seem to replace one regime to another - evidenced by Coin wanting the Hunger Games
- Katniss - wanting that - gave in to the ideology of the Capitol?

What other arguments can I do?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazmin98
It's 'It is better to obey than to rebel". To what extent is this true for Orwell's 1984 and Collins' Hunger Games?'

I want to talk about how each government controls its citizens and the methods used - and the people who seem happiest in the dystopic world are the ones blindly following or ignorant. -> Therefore it's better - evidence of Winston giving to the Party's control
Parsons + his children
- if you play the Hunger Games and to the whims of the Capitol, you'll live comfortably

But the horrific actions of both governments eg torture, mind manipluation - it's better to rebel

However that has consequences - Winston punished
+ Hunger Games seem to replace one regime to another - evidenced by Coin wanting the Hunger Games
- Katniss - wanting that - gave in to the ideology of the Capitol?

What other arguments can I do?

Thanks

I think it's a good topic. However, I would suggest changing it to "How far do you agree with this statement" or "to what extend do you agree" rather than saying it's "true". Literature and your interpretation of it is subjective so nothing can be true or false in that sense.

Other than that, I think you have a lot of interesting points that will be more than enough!
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I think it's a good topic. However, I would suggest changing it to "How far do you agree with this statement" or "to what extend do you agree" rather than saying it's "true". Literature and your interpretation of it is subjective so nothing can be true or false in that sense.

Other than that, I think you have a lot of interesting points that will be more than enough!

Thanks for the suggestion! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending