Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a good question for LITB4 Coursework? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's 'It is better to obey than to rebel". To what extent is this true for Orwell's 1984 and Collins' Hunger Games?'

I want to talk about how each government controls its citizens and the methods used - and the people who seem happiest in the dystopic world are the ones blindly following or ignorant. -> Therefore it's better - evidence of Winston giving to the Party's control
    Parsons + his children
    - if you play the Hunger Games and to the whims of the Capitol, you'll live comfortably

But the horrific actions of both governments eg torture, mind manipluation - it's better to rebel

However that has consequences - Winston punished
    + Hunger Games seem to replace one regime to another - evidenced by Coin wanting the Hunger Games
    - Katniss - wanting that - gave in to the ideology of the Capitol?

What other arguments can I do?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazmin98)
    It's 'It is better to obey than to rebel". To what extent is this true for Orwell's 1984 and Collins' Hunger Games?'

I want to talk about how each government controls its citizens and the methods used - and the people who seem happiest in the dystopic world are the ones blindly following or ignorant. -> Therefore it's better - evidence of Winston giving to the Party's control
    Parsons + his children
    - if you play the Hunger Games and to the whims of the Capitol, you'll live comfortably

But the horrific actions of both governments eg torture, mind manipluation - it's better to rebel

However that has consequences - Winston punished
    + Hunger Games seem to replace one regime to another - evidenced by Coin wanting the Hunger Games
    - Katniss - wanting that - gave in to the ideology of the Capitol?

What other arguments can I do?

Thanks
    I think it's a good topic. However, I would suggest changing it to "How far do you agree with this statement" or "to what extend do you agree" rather than saying it's "true". Literature and your interpretation of it is subjective so nothing can be true or false in that sense.

Other than that, I think you have a lot of interesting points that will be more than enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I think it's a good topic. However, I would suggest changing it to "How far do you agree with this statement" or "to what extend do you agree" rather than saying it's "true". Literature and your interpretation of it is subjective so nothing can be true or false in that sense.

Other than that, I think you have a lot of interesting points that will be more than enough!
    Thanks for the suggestion!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.