Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics A-levels. Geography? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in economics and read a considerable amount of books. I'm in year 9 and am wondering if economics in A levels uses Geography. I am naturally bad at geography because of the teacher who made me just feel hate for the field. There is no GCSE options for economics in my school however I want a career in being an economist as I find it interesting however hearing that Economics uses lots of geography.
    My grades I know if:
    Maths-A
    English literature -A
    English Language-B
    Double science -BB
    Sociology -A*
    Business studies -A*
    Religious studies -A
    Sports studies (core) -A

ReputationRep:
    It's great that you see yourself being an economist at such a young age as it's usually the early birds that catch the worm and all that.. putting you 3-4 years ahead of other applying to a degree in economics.

Forget applying everything to economics for right now and understand the basic concepts of geography. Geography is about understanding the world that we live in.. split of physical geography and human geography.. from the rocky mountains to the deserts of the Iraq and Iran to the diversity of ethnicities living in 'global' cosmopolitan cities like London and New York.

Physical Geography:
    - Weather and Climate
    - The living world
    - Coastal zones.

Human Geography:
    - Population change
    - Changing urban and rural environments
    - Development
    - Globalisation
    - Tourism

See the YouTube series 'Geography Now!'

Why do people live in crowded cities which bring together unbalanced wealth (economics) where the rich and the poor live side-by-side where one is dependent on a welfare system (economics) maybe living in such areas affects their health? Pollution from cars affecting the climate and environment causing health problems which puts people into hospitals.. Where are the best places in the world for the best 'quality of life'?

'Stratfor' short for Stratregic forecasting offers intelligence to governments and companies.

Geopolitics (or political geography): the power of territory (is of interests to economists but mostly to politicians and defence policy advisors and military chiefs etc.) you will see the challenges for the United Kingdom in this video which illustrate territories of northern Ireland which you can find a lot of history about disputes of those who think that Ireland should be a part of the United Kingdom and all moved to northern Ireland and the ensuing violence in the 20th Century such as the IRA bombing London causing £1 billion's worth of damage, which had an effect on people's moral in working in the City and the insurance to fix all of this.

Then recently Scotland wished to seperate from the United Kingdom and this was put to a referendum (vote) and H.M. Treasury would have had a team of economists working on the economic details of how this would work depending on the result of the vote.. it is geographic because Scotland offers a lot in taxation (economics) to the UK with citizens, tourism and resources in the ground and adding to statistics about the environment which have to comply with international regulations.

The world is moving towards a more sustainable and efficient (economics) use of resources.. less use of oil, de-polluting the world with electric cars so less carbon emissions, improving the ecology and life systems and creating a better 'quality of life' for everyone.

Things like facebook and twitter are of interest to social geographers in that globalisation is so rapid that businesses can market goods to the U.K., U.S. and China in minutes - meaning similarities in interests in diverse regions of the world and if there is a global response to a product then more people are going to 're-tweet' it and market the product themselves and this is what we know as globalisation.

Solar panels in Africa? Harnessing the renewable energy of the sun to places like Africa.
    Diminishing of diseases in 'third-world' countries - Polio for example, almost eradicated.
    Over-population of the world - from 2 billion to 7 billion in 100 years?
    Polar ice-caps melting?
    Global business operations effects on animals habitats (biodiversity and conservation).
    An example being a shipping channel through the great barrier reef or across the north pole.

Does this help at all?

ReputationRep:
    See the YouTube channel of the World Bank..

www.youtube.com/user/WorldBank/videos

http://www.worldbank.org/en/events/2...th-summit-2015

I think the World Bank see everything as valuable: every human-being, all knowledge available, all the skills we can offer each other, the fragility of the environment and climate.. and what it can offer us.. like clean water.. only 3% of the water in the world is drinkable so things like energy security and water security are economic as well as political issues.

Why do we use economics in environment policy?

B.Sc. Environment, Economics and Ecology at the University of York

Environmental Economics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.