Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is the question:

-----------------------------------

The head of a piston moves with SHM of amplitude 0.1root 3m about a mean position O. How far from O is the head of the piston when it is travelling with a speed equal to half its maximum speed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Is there really enough information in the question to be able to do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiehodgson)
    This is the question:

-----------------------------------

The head of a piston moves with SHM of amplitude 0.1root 3m about a mean position O. How far from O is the head of the piston when it is travelling with a speed equal to half its maximum speed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Is there really enough information in the question to be able to do this?
    AFAIK, yes. Why do you think there isn't? Call the maximum speed v. Then v^2 = w^2 \times 0.1^2 \times 3

Then you want to find x s.t \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{w^2 \times 0.1^2 \times 3} = \sqrt{w^2 (0.1^2 \times 3 - x^2)} (or something vaguely like that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    AFAIK, yes. Why do you think there isn't? Call the maximum speed v. Then v^2 = w^2 \times 0.1^2 \times 3

Then you want to find x s.t \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{w^2 \times 0.1^2 \times 3} = \sqrt{w^2 (0.1^2 \times 3 - x^2)} (or something vaguely like that)
    AFAIK??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    AFAIK??
    As far as I know

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know
    danke

ReputationRep:

Yes, you are dead right. I just hadn't gone far enough with my own work to see how to eliminate w.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are dead right. I just hadn't gone far enough with my own work to see how to eliminate w.
    Great. Yeah, that's always a thing with these questions, lots of terms cancel out. Especially in stuff like circular motion where mass cancels out at the very last step and you breathe a sigh of relief.

ReputationRep:
    Great. Yeah, that's always a thing with these questions, lots of terms cancel out. Especially in stuff like circular motion where mass cancels out at the very last step and you breathe a sigh of relief.
    Thanks for the warning - I think that's the next chapter. Oh Joy!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the warning - I think that's the next chapter. Oh Joy!
    It's a fun one, to be honest. The 'show that' questions are a free 6/8 marks. Enjoy it, make sure you know your energy principles well.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fun one, to be honest. The 'show that' questions are a free 6/8 marks. Enjoy it, make sure you know your energy principles well.
    Believe it or not I'm only doing mechanics for fun. I'm a mature student, self teaching. I did A level - also self taught - two years ago. Having been out of education and exams for many many years I almost scared myself to death and wished I'd never put myself through the terror of the exam room. I swore I'd never do such a thing ever again.

So mechanics for fun. I must be a masochist.

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not I'm only doing mechanics for fun. I'm a mature student, self teaching. I did A level - also self taught - two years ago. Having been out of education and exams for many many years I almost scared myself to death and wished I'd never put myself through the terror of the exam room. I swore I'd never do such a thing ever again.

So mechanics for fun. I must be a masochist.
    I can relate with the self-teaching thing, seems like you're doing good, from what I've seen of you so far! So keep at it. Being a masochist is fun. Are you planning on doing M4/5 as well?

ReputationRep:
    I can relate with the self-teaching thing, seems like you're doing good, from what I've seen of you so far! So keep at it. Being a masochist is fun. Are you planning on doing M4/5 as well?

Well. We'll see. At the current rate of progress I might not even get to the end of M3 hahahha.

However, if I do, given that beating my head on a brick wall is preferable to daytime tv/housework/statistics/decision mats etc, then probably yes.

Thanks for the encouragement. Without TSR it would have to be daytime TV and housework. God forbid.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the encouragement. Without TSR it would have to be daytime TV and housework. God forbid.
    Ah, that's what we're for! :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.