jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
what would happen if an independent won every seat that means every constituency fielded an independent candidate and everyone of them got a seat who would be prime minister? and how would they form a cabnate?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think essentially a form of pseudo-party would have to be formed, with a PM and cabinet chosen from amongst the new MPs. If they couldn't come to an agreement on that, then it would probably force another general election.
LennyBicknel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The independents, as the above reply suggested, would probably find common goals and natural alliances amongst themselves. Whichever party ends up being the largest would most likely become the de facto government.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As Dez said, pseudo parties would be formed and then it would be business as usual. This is the reason that abolishing parties is a silly idea, you would just get a few factions of MPs with similar ideas who agree to support each other on various issues, so for instance there would be a pro trident faction, a unilateralist faction, and a multilateralists faction for votes on trident. It would be informally business as usual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
I think essentially a form of pseudo-party would have to be formed, with a PM and cabinet chosen from amongst the new MPs. If they couldn't come to an agreement on that, then it would probably force another general election.
Well, not necessarily. The queen would make a decision and choose the PM.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
Well, not necessarily. The queen would make a decision and choose the PM.
But that ultimately co!es down to stability of the governance, which will ultimately be down to the factions behind them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
what would happen if an independent won every seat that means every constituency fielded an independent candidate and everyone of them got a seat who would be prime minister? and how would they form a cabnate?
Almost certainly some would group together then form coalitions with other groups

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.57%
I'm not sure (54)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (35)
3%
I'm not a current university student (565)
48.41%

Watched Threads