Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reading Uni introduces flexible offers Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you be influenced by unis giving flexible offers (so you can miss by a grade)?
    More likely to apply to them
    63.78%
    No difference
    27.83%
    Less likely to apply to them
    8.39%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Opportunity for TSR to create a TripAdvisor for universities... (not that TA is flawless of course).
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

There is nothing equivalent to a hotel or restaurant review guide which actually gives an opinion regarding a university and its courses rather than merely regurgitating data provided by the university.
    It's funny that you guys should mention this..... we are working on it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Not really... I wasn't going to put them as firm because of a 1 point difference in the offer. They were 4th in my 5 choices. And my choices weren't based on how high or low the offer would be. A Uni with lower offers was my 3rd preference.

It's rather rude of you to say I've been 'manipulated'.

It is ridiculous that students would go to Unis they less desire to go to because they are harder to get into.
    Reading themselves admit that this is a tactic to manipulate the choices of their applicants
    "We are piloting new approaches to drive up the number of firm acceptances, convert students who may otherwise have put us as insurance and to make sure we attract high-calibre students."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35550788

So they're increasing their offers but saying "if you firm us we'll take lower".

This change in policy is NOT to benefit students. Unfortunately there's a link in the minds of applicants and the general public between price and quality - in the case of universities that turns into "high offers == high quality". It's clearly nonsense but every year we get dozens of threads on TSR from people who are uncomfortable choosing their lowest offer as firm or who picked their highest offer as firm and then regret it.

Which?, Complete and TSR are all trying to gather "opinions" from current students. Unfortunately choosing a crap restaurant just results in a poor experience and so slating it on tripadviser isn't a big deal. Choosing the wrong university and slating it on a public website could result in a graduate's degree losing some of its value - there's a perverse incentive for graduates to praise their university even if it doesn't deliver.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    It's funny that you guys should mention this..... we are working on it.
    Cool! Will it include rep-based reviews?
    (Maybe per course, and averaged for the uni.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Cool! Will it include rep-based reviews?
    (Maybe per course, and averaged for the uni.)
    What do you mean by rep-based?

At the moment this is what the reviews look like. We are building out the review platform at the moment so it will be more user friendly and people will be able to add their review directly from the course page.

PQ makes some good points though. It's very difficult to get an accurate reflection of what a university is really like.

Also, most students only go to one university and are normally very positive about it as they have nothing to compare it to, and university is usually a positive experience for many other reasons. I transferred university in my second year and honestly was blown away by the difference in the thought put in to the syllabus, the quality of the lectures and lecturer involvement between the two. If I hadn't transferred I never would have realised. :beard:

I guess this kind of thing will always be a problem when you try to apply free market/consumer principles to a system where a true free market can't really exist. :eek3:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Puddles the Monkey Is there a way to get a list of unis, not courses, ranked by overall reviews?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioeng98)
    5 A levels? I suppose they might want the three most relevant subjects for the course you are applying for, which is what a fair few universities seem to ask for as well. If it wasn't for the excluding of Russian and English Language, that seems to be a rather regular offer. :/
    True, their required subjects were most relevant to Economics but unis higher up in the league tables didn't restrict so much. :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.