Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year and have applied to university. I am thinking of applying for the A-level insight days and I think I've already missed the deadlines for Nomura and Credit Suisse.
    Can anyone direct me to the banks that I am eligible to apply for the insight days. Some banks specify full time sixth form students. I am taking one more A-level but I am self-teaching the subject hence only being a part time student.

Also for these applications Im not sure what level of work exp is required. I don't have much just some part time retail jobs and some charity work. So my aim is to try secure a insight day to at add something a little more for my SW applications next year.

I hope to be at a semi-target/target university next year, will the fact that I've taken a gap year weaken my chances of obtaining a SW next year? And an insight day this year?

Is there anything else I can do in terms of applying for work exp in order to strengthen my application next year?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GAMEMASTER10)
    Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year and have applied to university. I am thinking of applying for the A-level insight days and I think I've already missed the deadlines for Nomura and Credit Suisse.
    Can anyone direct me to the banks that I am eligible to apply for the insight days. Some banks specify full time sixth form students. I am taking one more A-level but I am self-teaching the subject hence only being a part time student.

Also for these applications Im not sure what level of work exp is required. I don't have much just some part time retail jobs and some charity work. So my aim is to try secure a insight day to at add something a little more for my SW applications next year.

I hope to be at a semi-target/target university next year, will the fact that I've taken a gap year weaken my chances of obtaining a SW next year? And an insight day this year?

Is there anything else I can do in terms of applying for work exp in order to strengthen my application next year?
    CS hasn't opened yet for their insight day. Only their steps to success scholarship programme has passed.

Apply to all of them, as long as you're pre-uni it should be fine. MS, JPM, BAML and HSBC are all open atm. RBS will be open in June/July.

Your work experience is fine, they're expecting applications from sixth form kids - not people who've been interning since they were 5.

Gap year will have 0 impact.

Get involved with your community, do volunteering, make sure you're spending your time out of teaching yourself subjects wisely. Potentially cold call small firms to see if they'd take you on for a couple weeks in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    CS hasn't opened yet for their insight day. Only their steps to success scholarship programme has passed.

Apply to all of them, as long as you're pre-uni it should be fine. MS, JPM, BAML and HSBC are all open atm. RBS will be open in June/July.

Your work experience is fine, they're expecting applications from sixth form kids - not people who've been interning since they were 5.

Gap year will have 0 impact.

Get involved with your community, do volunteering, make sure you're spending your time out of teaching yourself subjects wisely. Potentially cold call small firms to see if they'd take you on for a couple weeks in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was honestly hoping you'd reply A lot of what I've learnt about the application process has been from yourself.
    Oh I thought the steps to success was their programme Don't know much about these Pre-U insight days.
    I've tried looking for example cover letters and CVs for these Pre-U applications not having much luck! Could you give me some advice on what to include/ direct me to any?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GAMEMASTER10)
    I was honestly hoping you'd reply A lot of what I've learnt about the application process has been from yourself.
    Oh I thought the steps to success was their programme Don't know much about these Pre-U insight days.
    I've tried looking for example cover letters and CVs for these Pre-U applications not having much luck! Could you give me some advice on what to include/ direct me to any?
    Morgan Stanley (Open Day), JPMorgan (Schools Insight Day), HSBC (Inspiring Potential), BAML (Banking Uncovered). Others that open later are: RBS (Career Insight Programme), Credit Suisse (A-level Insight Day)

These should be enough:
    Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and the Investment Banking Guide by Vault, Wall Street Oasis - FAQ, Wall Street Prep, Investopedia, Canary Wharfian (How to get a Spring Week Guide), CV Template, Cover Letter Guidance

Stick to 300-500 words on the CL.
    Read up about what's going on in the markets and generally in the business world
    Research the banks and what makes them strong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Morgan Stanley (Open Day), JPMorgan (Schools Insight Day), HSBC (Inspiring Potential), BAML (Banking Uncovered). Others that open later are: RBS (Career Insight Programme), Credit Suisse (A-level Insight Day)

These should be enough:
    Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and the Investment Banking Guide by Vault, Wall Street Oasis - FAQ, Wall Street Prep, Investopedia, Canary Wharfian (How to get a Spring Week Guide), CV Template, Cover Letter Guidance

Stick to 300-500 words on the CL.
    Read up about what's going on in the markets and generally in the business world
    Research the banks and what makes them strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.