Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I hold a Cert.HE (completed 1 year of uni), am I ineligible for apprenticeships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been applying for HA's, but keep being told to supply evidence that I do not hold a level 4 qualifcation even when I tell them I completed one year of University but withdrew during my second year.

I have gotten pretty far in some of my applications and have assessment centres coming up, but now I want to know whether in fact I am even legally eligble for these roles.

I was under the impression that people who dropped out of uni could apply for these roles. I only hold a HNC, not a degree. Yet according to this site (http://www.careersadviceforparents.o...nticeship.html) I am completely ineligible for funding since I have completed one year of uni.

If an employer asks about my time at University, should I just not mention it? I've been applying vigariously for the past few months, now I just realized that I may not even be eligible!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by williamgk)
    Hi,

I've been applying for HA's, but keep being told to supply evidence that I do not hold a level 4 qualifcation even when I tell them I completed one year of University but withdrew during my second year.

I have gotten pretty far in some of my applications and have assessment centres coming up, but now I want to know whether in fact I am even legally eligble for these roles.

I was under the impression that people who dropped out of uni could apply for these roles. I only hold a HNC, not a degree. Yet according to this site (http://www.careersadviceforparents.o...nticeship.html) I am completely ineligible for funding since I have completed one year of uni.

If an employer asks about my time at University, should I just not mention it? I've been applying vigariously for the past few months, now I just realized that I may not even be eligible!
    As you have completed the first year of the degree and been awarded a Certificate of Higher Education, you do already hold a Level 4 qualification. Therefore, you're not eligible for any apprenticeship that excludes people with level 4 qualifications. Usually, people who "drop out of uni" and are advised they can do an apprenticeship do not hold the qualification that you have.

There are apprenticeships that have different requirements. You'll need to search more carefully to find them. The government provide funding to businesses that provide apprentices, but this has a very narrow eligibility criteria. With your qualification you don't meet that criteria, so firms who need the funding to provide the apprenticeship won't be able to hire you. Larger firms may not be so reliant on the funding, so might be able to take on a small number of apprentices who don't meet the strict eligibility criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    As you have completed the first year of the degree and been awarded a Certificate of Higher Education, you do already hold a Level 4 qualification. Therefore, you're not eligible for any apprenticeship that excludes people with level 4 qualifications. Usually, people who "drop out of uni" and are advised they can do an apprenticeship do not hold the qualification that you have.

There are apprenticeships that have different requirements. You'll need to search more carefully to find them. The government provide funding to businesses that provide apprentices, but this has a very narrow eligibility criteria. With your qualification you don't meet that criteria, so firms who need the funding to provide the apprenticeship won't be able to hire you. Larger firms may not be so reliant on the funding, so might be able to take on a small number of apprentices who don't meet the strict eligibility criteria.
    I suppose that confirms my fears. I emailed the apprentice department at gov.uk and was told I could apply for any apprenticeships at level 5 above, which seem few and far between.

Are all degree sponsored apprenticeships level 5? BT, Capgemini and some of the big four are offering to sponsor a degree, I'm going to try my luck there. Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    1st year university drop out.

Currently on Higher Apprenticeship with JLR where I'll complete a degree.

Only exclusion I know of is not holding a degree, there have been cases of people completing OU degrees they were already on during the course.

Submit reply
Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.