Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White people are underrepresented in the American music industry? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SYYAAM97)
    I dont get why drake and the weeknd etc... get classed as black when they are litterally half white half black.
    Abel isn't half white lol

ReputationRep:
    No. Not at all. Don't white people make up majority of the USA? I'll say yes to that. So why wouldn't majority of popular artists be white?
    Maybe the people you listed and other popular artists just happen to make music others like without their race playing a role? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    This is very true. The genres that are popping atm all stem from black culture. And I'm referring to House & Hip Hop. So it would only make sense for blacks to be overrepresented, which they don't seem to be anyway.

Spoiler:
    Show
    PRSOM
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HepaxLegomenon)
    Just out of curiosity I decided to google the top 40 at the moment in the US and figure out what percentage of artists/groups are black, white or other.

My findings (Only band/artist names are noted -- not the songs they are on the top 40 with):

Justin Bieber - white
    21 Pilots - white
    Rihanna - black
    Adele - white
    Flo Rida - black
    The Chainsmokers with Rozes - white and white
    Selena Gomez - hispanic
    Drake - black
    Alessia Cara - white
    Shawn Mendes - white
    G-eazy and Bebe Rexha - white and white
    The Weeknd - black
    Meghan Trainor and John Legend - white and black
    Bryson Tiller - black
    Post Malone - white
    Future - black
    Daya - asian

Note: Please forgive if I wrote the wrong ethnicity for a certain band or artist, I only googled it so I'm sure it's not completely correct. I do realise that there are one or two English artists in the list but I am using figures on population from a 2010 US census just to keep from complicating things.

So in conclusion:
    10 out of 20 white = 50%
    8 out of 20 black = 40%
    2 out of 20 other = 10%

Bearing in mind that the US is approximately 13% black and 72% white, and therefore 15% other, is it then fair to conclude that black people are over-represented and white people underrepresented in the American music industry?

Sources: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...b11-cn125.html and http://www.vmusic.com.au/charts/bill...les-chart.aspx
    Interesting. I don't think we can see institutionalised racism against whites in society from the top 40, but it certainly raises questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Abel isn't half white lol
    He's Ethiopian, so he's classed as Caucasian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    He's Ethiopian, so he's classed as Caucasian.
    Being caucasian doesn't necessarily mean that you're white.

ReputationRep:
    why do white people do this? you make white people look bad...smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Being caucasian doesn't necessarily mean that you're white.
    No, but his facial structure and skin colour is linked to him being Caucasian. Blame the Arabs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.