Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any dyslexic or ADHD people on here? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if there are any people who have dyslexia or ADHD on here and how do you cope with everyday life. How do you cope with driving and exams? Do you find it easy to process things in your brain? Have you ever gone through difficulties interacting with other people? Thanks and please no rude comments saying it doesn't exist because it does.

ReputationRep:
    Im dyslexic, I mainly struggle with maths and spelling. Luckily spell check and calculators exist. I have noticed I have certain abilities that other people dont have, for example im very good at looking at things from different angles/perspectives. Just things like that and I really like it! :P

ReputationRep:
    People with disabilities often have something to make up for what they lack in.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    i m dyslexic (also dyspraxic) so driving even in an automatic got a bit much for me, especially after needing 4 attempts at the theory test but maybe one day I will get back to it though. Both are technically "mild" so with all the support I get at uni since leaving school i actually dont feel like either are holding me back that much, although i still get bad days every so often. Mainly, i have a slow reading and processing speed and my working memory isnt brilliant but my spelling and maths aren't affected whatsoever As for communicating with people, apart from on a bad memory day it normally doesnt cause any problems (all of my friends and colleagues all know anyway so even if i have a bad day they're always very support)

(Original post by Indieboohoo1)
    I was wondering if there are any people who have dyslexia or ADHD on here and how do you cope with everyday life. How do you cope with driving and exams? Do you find it easy to process things in your brain? Have you ever gone through difficulties interacting with other people? Thanks and please no rude comments saying it doesn't exist because it does.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliehancock50)
    Im dyslexic, I mainly struggle with maths and spelling. Luckily spell check and calculators exist. I have noticed I have certain abilities that other people dont have, for example im very good at looking at things from different angles/perspectives. Just things like that and I really like it! :P
    I think it helps me to be quite a good problem solver, seeing things from different angles definitely comes in handy

ReputationRep:
    I know a tsr user who has adhd

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    ADHD - take meds

ReputationRep:
    I have dyslexia and dyspraxia, which can be difficult, especially as I study 3 essay subjects at A-Level and I'm going to be studying History at uni next year. I think, because I was diagnosed quite late at 17, I developed a lot of coping mechanisms without knowing it. I do get miserable about it sometimes, especially dyspraxia as I can't do some of the things that other people can do. But then, I think of other people, like people who are missing limbs or have terminal illnesses, and I realize they have a lot more to complain about than me. Sometimes I get annoyed at misconceptions about disabilities. A lot of people don't believe me when I say I have dyslexia as I get good grades, and they think it is just being bad at reading and writing, far from the truth really. The other day I asked my english teacher if I could have something on coloured paper and she just went "Well, it isn't really important, is it?". Then, a lot of people have no clue what dyspraxia is, which can be fustrating. I find it difficult to process information sometimes, as I feel like there is too much in my head at one time, so I have to write a lot down. I do quite like exams actually, as I feel good when I've done them. I though I'd be terrible at driving, but my instructor told me today that I'm doing a lot better than he expected me to. I had my 3rd lesson today, and I've just got onto main roads and roundabouts etc, so not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds;[url="tel:62689583")
    62689583[/url]]I have dyslexia and dyspraxia, which can be difficult, especially as I study 3 essay subjects at A-Level and I'm going to be studying History at uni next year. I think, because I was diagnosed quite late at 17, I developed a lot of coping mechanisms without knowing it. I do get miserable about it sometimes, especially dyspraxia as I can't do some of the things that other people can do. But then, I think of other people, like people who are missing limbs or have terminal illnesses, and I realize they have a lot more to complain about than me. Sometimes I get annoyed at misconceptions about disabilities. A lot of people don't believe me when I say I have dyslexia as I get good grades, and they think it is just being bad at reading and writing, far from the truth really. The other day I asked my english teacher if I could have something on coloured paper and she just went "Well, it isn't really important, is it?". Then, a lot of people have no clue what dyspraxia is, which can be fustrating. I find it difficult to process information sometimes, as I feel like there is too much in my head at one time, so I have to write a lot down. I do quite like exams actually, as I feel good when I've done them. I though I'd be terrible at driving, but my instructor told me today that I'm doing a lot better than he expected me to. I had my 3rd lesson today, and I've just got onto main roads and roundabouts etc, so not too bad.
    At least you get good grades. Good luck with studying history at uni

ReputationRep:
    ergh I have ADHD and trust me it's like hell at times ;/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.