Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ethics 1 part e question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How would you answer "Divorce is sometimes necessary" Discuss this statement. You should include different supported points of view and a personal viewpoint. You must refer to Christianity in your answer.
    How would you get 10 and over out of 12? I am not sure how to 'weave' my answer together with counter arguments.
    Any advice/responses would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georginarowley)
    How would you answer "Divorce is sometimes necessary" Discuss this statement. You should include different supported points of view and a personal viewpoint. You must refer to Christianity in your answer.
    How would you get 10 and over out of 12? I am not sure how to 'weave' my answer together with counter arguments.
    Any advice/responses would be great
    Did GCSE philosophy and ethics like 2 years ago and my personal structure was something like this:

Para 1- contextualise issue so explain how the statement is relevant to society today e.g. more and more people getting divorced, people getting married younger etc etc.

View 1- pick a religious viewpoint with a quote to back it up and explore it e.g. a catholic might say ... with evidence for that viewpoint, ideally a quote (sorry i did this two years ago so i can't remember quotes to use as an example)

view 2- explore another religious (or atheist) viewpoint again with evidence

view 3- and so on

view 4 if time

conclusion - Where your own opinion should go (leave this out of the earlier paragraphs), toss up both sides of the argument before reaching a final judgement.

Ideally if you're using 3 views I would normally have one view anti the statement e.g. Catholic's might argue divorce is always wrong, one view for e.g. atheist might say that people should do what makes them happy and they shouldn't be forced to stay in a marriage that makes them unhappy, and then one which is somewhere in the middle e.g. a liberal christian might believe in the sanctity of marriage, the ring showing that marriage is eternal... but they also believe that 'God is love' and that God would want what is best for us so in some circumstances it might be warranted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Did GCSE philosophy and ethics like 2 years ago and my personal structure was something like this:

Para 1- contextualise issue so explain how the statement is relevant to society today e.g. more and more people getting divorced, people getting married younger etc etc.

View 1- pick a religious viewpoint with a quote to back it up and explore it e.g. a catholic might say ... with evidence for that viewpoint, ideally a quote (sorry i did this two years ago so i can't remember quotes to use as an example)

view 2- explore another religious (or atheist) viewpoint again with evidence

view 3- and so on

view 4 if time

conclusion - Where your own opinion should go (leave this out of the earlier paragraphs), toss up both sides of the argument before reaching a final judgement.

Ideally if you're using 3 views I would normally have one view anti the statement e.g. Catholic's might argue divorce is always wrong, one view for e.g. atheist might say that people should do what makes them happy and they shouldn't be forced to stay in a marriage that makes them unhappy, and then one which is somewhere in the middle e.g. a liberal christian might believe in the sanctity of marriage, the ring showing that marriage is eternal... but they also believe that 'God is love' and that God would want what is best for us so in some circumstances it might be warranted.
    Thanks, i kinda did this but not in different paragraphs, as counter arguements instead.i didn't support my extra points with quotes oops. Thanks for your reponse, it really helped with what other views to include

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georginarowley)
    Thanks, i kinda did this but not in different paragraphs, as counter arguements instead.i didn't support my extra points with quotes oops. Thanks for your reponse, it really helped with what other views to include
    No worries, just find a structure that works for you and stick to it really. Glad I could help even though i'm a bit rusty haha

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.