Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are proofs of a formula really needed to learned? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I see that sometimes we are taught the proof of a certain formula and why that formula works but would it be likely for an exam question to ask us for the proof of a formula (besides the identities stuff but any other formula)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunihuni)
    So I see that sometimes we are taught the proof of a certain formula and why that formula works but would it be likely for an exam question to ask us for the proof of a formula (besides the identities stuff but any other formula)
    depends

ReputationRep:
    For example, proof of Integration by parts in C4 won't stick into my head

ReputationRep:
    I suppose not, like are we really going to need to learn algebra too?

It's just to pass the grade really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucarious30)
    I suppose not, like are we really going to need to learn algebra too?

It's just to pass the grade really...
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic with the algebra part and didn't understand my question

These are the types of proofs I am talking about: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...arts/proof.php

I understand the formulas and I can apply them but proving the formula myself is what I struggle with

ReputationRep:
    If you're with OCR then no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    They don't need to be learnt, they need to be understood. Unless you want to be a mindless exam drone? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response! So OCR would never ask such proof of formula questions? Great lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response! So OCR would never ask such proof of formula questions? Great lol
    That's a bad attitude!

ReputationRep:
    :naughty:

:spank:

ReputationRep:
    You could have a look here, from page 34
    http://ocr.org.uk/Images/67746-specification.pdf

I didn't spot anywhere that it asked for proofs in C1 or C2 for instance, whereas Edexcel do expect you to be able to prove the sum formulae for arithmetic and geometric series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    You could have a look here, from page 34
    http://ocr.org.uk/Images/67746-specification.pdf

I didn't spot anywhere that it asked for proofs in C1 or C2 for instance, whereas Edexcel do expect you to be able to prove the sum formulae for arithmetic and geometric series.
    Thanks, I am currently reading that.

ReputationRep:
    Not having a go here but I really don't understand how you (or anyone for that matter) can be doing A2 maths and not care about the proofs/derivation of formula :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Not having a go here but I really don't understand how you (or anyone for that matter) can be doing A2 maths and not care about the proofs/derivation of formula :ashamed:
    Reading them through and thinking about how they work is one thing. Learning them so that you can produce them in an exam is something different.

If you're planning to do Maths at university, come back and read this thread again in a couple of years' time.

ReputationRep:
    Reading them through and thinking about how they work is one thing. Learning them so that you can produce them in an exam is something different.

If you're planning to do Maths at university, come back and read this thread again in a couple of years' time.
    I don't mean learn them off, but just reading and appreciating them is all

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean learn them off, but just reading and appreciating them is all
    The original question was about whether an exam question would ask you to prove a formula.

ReputationRep:
    The original question was about whether an exam question would ask you to prove a formula.
    youre right, whoops

ReputationRep:
    I want to do well in the exam and if anything that comes up that I struggle with would be a huge downside for me! This thread was just to simply see whether the one thing I struggle with, would or would not come up in the exam. Anyone doing Mathematics at A-level is doing Maths because they're good at it, like it and it is helpful for whatever degree they want to study - not because they care about derivations of formula.

ReputationRep:
    Well, just read that you got the point. Anyways, have a nice day guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.