Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to take 1 additional module (or 2 depending on whether I do D1 or not). Which is better? Considering I'm doing C3, C4, FP2, FP3, M2 and M3 next year which module would be good to do?
    I like both mechanics and stats but:
    - if I pick M4, I'm gonna need to whizz through M2 and M3 first and that doesn't seem appealing for me!
    - I'm better at mechanics!

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaArgonian)
    I want to take 1 additional module (or 2 depending on whether I do D1 or not). Which is better? Considering I'm doing C3, C4, FP2, FP3, M2 and M3 next year which module would be good to do?
    I like both mechanics and stats but:
    - if I pick M4, I'm gonna need to whizz through M2 and M3 first and that doesn't seem appealing for me!
    - I'm better at mechanics!

Opinions?
    What d'you mean by "which is better"? If you mean easier, then S3 definitely takes the cake for that. If you mean in terms of what you'd enjoy I highly suspect M4 is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Above is a good answer.

Also what are you looking to do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Above is a good answer.

Also what are you looking to do at uni?
    Palaeontology but maths and chemistry are back up.

ReputationRep:
    Palaeontology but maths and chemistry are back up.
    I'm not knowledgable on the subject but do you think statistics might come in useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What d'you mean by "which is better"? If you mean easier, then S3 definitely takes the cake for that. If you mean in terms of what you'd enjoy I highly suspect M4 is the answer.
    Well as in terms of how interesting it is, but size is important as well, preferably a smaller module

ReputationRep:
    Well as in terms of how interesting it is, but size is important as well, preferably a smaller module
    They're both fairly small modules, I don't think size will be a deciding factor given that similarity. Again, how interesting it is is going to depend on your perception, no? In your case, M4 would be the obvious choice unless you care about the difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not knowledgable on the subject but do you think statistics might come in useful?
    Possibly, through analysing scientific data, but mechanics is used to see how fast Dinosaurs can run or the biting force of a Tyrannosaurus Rex or any other prehistoric titan.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, through analysing scientific data, but mechanics is used to see how fast Dinosaurs can run or the biting force of a Tyrannosaurus Rex or any other prehistoric titan.
    Ehh I doubt you'd need M4 for that. It's up to you though I'm not sure tbh. Better to listen to Zacken

ReputationRep:
    They're both fairly small modules, I don't think size will be a deciding factor given that similarity. Again, how interesting it is is going to depend on your perception, no? In your case, M4 would be the obvious choice unless you care about the difficulty.
    Well admittedly I find them equally interesting but for me I'd say S3 would be harder. However, I'd have to do M2 and M3 first which means I'd probably only have a term and a half to do M4 (I go to an intermediate comprehensive school).

ReputationRep:
    Ehh I doubt you'd need M4 for that. It's up to you though I'm not sure tbh. Better to listen to Zacken
    Fair enough, but say I did maths (which I am heavily considering) would it help (or be more beneficial than S3) then?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but say I did maths (which I am heavily considering) would it help (or be more beneficial than S3) then?
    I'm not sure about that - I think you'll end up learning it through your degree anyway? But again, Zacken would be able to help on that as he's looking to do maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about that - I think you'll end up learning it through your degree anyway? But again, Zacken would be able to help on that as he's looking to do maths
    Ah ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree that M4 would be a little useless in terms of gaining knowledge required for palaeontology.

Well admittedly I find them equally interesting but for me I'd say S3 would be harder. However, I'd have to do M2 and M3 first which means I'd probably only have a term and a half to do M4 (I go to an intermediate comprehensive school).
    A term and a half sounds like ample time to do M4, but - on the whole I feel like S3 is a 'safer' choice for you. You say you like mechanics but you haven't even done M2 or M3, so I'm not sure what you're basing you liking mechanics on? M1? If so M3 and M4 are vastly different whilst M2 is admittedly close to M1 in style.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree that M4 would be a little useless in terms of gaining knowledge required for palaeontology.

A term and a half sounds like ample time to do M4, but - on the whole I feel like S3 is a 'safer' choice for you. You say you like mechanics but you haven't even done M2 or M3, so I'm not sure what you're basing you liking mechanics on? M1? If so M3 and M4 are vastly different whilst M2 is admittedly close to M1 in style.
    ^^^

M1 and M2 are on a much lower level to M4/M5. I'd say M3 is also quite a jump up from M2, and M4 is also a jump up from M3.
    Ah ok thanks
    No prob good luck

ReputationRep:

As Student403 said you wont need M4 for what u want to study. M4 covers
    relative velocity
    damped harmonic motion
    stability
    collisions
    further kinematics

If u like mechanics then u can defo go for it. But imo M3 is more than enough. Not many engineers nor physicsict take M4.And as Zacken said its already February and I think u would be better off not learning any more modules and focus on M2 and M3

ReputationRep:
    ^^^

M1 and M2 are on a much lower level to M4/M5. I'd say M3 is also quite a jump up from M2, and M4 is also a jump up from M3.
    No prob good luck
    Yep! My precise sentiments. M3 was quite a big jump from M2 whilst M2 just builds a little on existing concepts in M1.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! My precise sentiments. M3 was quite a big jump from M2 whilst M2 just builds a little on existing concepts in M1.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:

That's very true, I'll probably do S3 then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    As Student403 said you wont need M4 for what u want to study. M4 covers
    relative velocity
    damped harmonic motion
    stability
    collisions
    further kinematics

If u like mechanics then u can defo go for it. But imo M3 is more than enough. Not many engineers nor physicsict take M4.And as Zacken said its already February and I think u would be better off not learning any more modules and focus on M2 and M3
    I'm not doing this now, I'm in year 12 rn I'm talking about next year but still thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.