Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Mum wants me to do 4 AS Levels Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, at the moment I am in my Lower Sixth year. I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and French. I am hoping to do medicine at uni and in my opinion, the obvious choice is to drop French after the end of this year (I don't like the course anyway).

However, since I am not doing an EPQ or General Studies (which doesn't help with my application) my mum has got it in her head that I am doing 4 A2 levels next year. That means that I'll have no study periods in between lessons to do independent study and I'm going to be completely stretched over 4 subjects rather than focusing on the three that I love and i have a passion for.

My school really doesn't advise students to take 4 A2 levels (apart from those taking Further Maths) and I've tried to explain to her that it is not the best idea. However, instead of listening to my points she just tells me that I'm being a lazy little so and so and I don't need my study periods. I'm doing 4 hours of volunteering a week, doing work experience and at least 10 hours a week of extracurricular stuff so I don't see what the problem is!

Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batbat1306)
    Right, at the moment I am in my Lower Sixth year. I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and French. I am hoping to do medicine at uni and in my opinion, the obvious choice is to drop French after the end of this year (I don't like the course anyway).

However, since I am not doing an EPQ or General Studies (which doesn't help with my application) my mum has got it in her head that I am doing 4 A2 levels next year. That means that I'll have no study periods in between lessons to do independent study and I'm going to be completely stretched over 4 subjects rather than focusing on the three that I love and i have a passion for.

My school really doesn't advise students to take 4 A2 levels (apart from those taking Further Maths) and I've tried to explain to her that it is not the best idea. However, instead of listening to my points she just tells me that I'm being a lazy little so and so and I don't need my study periods. I'm doing 4 hours of volunteering a week, doing work experience and at least 10 hours a week of extracurricular stuff so I don't see what the problem is!

Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you!
    I would ignore your mum, you seem to have a lot of extracurriculars so i imagine without study periods that wouldn't leave you much spare time.

ReputationRep:
    Go with 3 A2's. No offense but your Mother isn't as informed on this whole situation as you are so you need to just go with your gut.

ReputationRep:
    It's your life, not your mum's. Do what you want to do.

Also, there is literally no point in doing 4 A2s, as universities give you an offer for 3 grades. Why do 4 when you could spend that extra time getting better grades in the 3 that count?

ReputationRep:
    Your parents dont have to have any say in your post 16 options, do what you feel is best, and remember 3 solid A2 grades are better than 4 average grades, also there would be no point doing French as your 4th subject if you want to do Medicine, if the 4th subject was something that you were passionate about or a lot more relevant it might be worth considering, but in your case take the 3
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)
    It's your life, not your mum's. Do what you want to do.

Also, there is literally no point in doing 4 A2s, as universities give you an offer for 3 grades. Why do 4 when you could spend that extra time getting better grades in the 3 that count?
    I second this - with the exception of universities that offer grades in UCAS points, all universities only ask for 3 A Levels, and will only offer 3 A Level requirements. Hence, it really is the best choice to drop one at AS, and go for 3 A Levels at A2. That'll give you the best shot to get the best possible grades at A2.

And with regards to the universities that do offers in UCAS points (instead of grades): 3 A2's at a good grade (i.e. A*/A/B) will give you more UCAS points than 4 A2s at a lower grade (C/D/E) - meaning you'll still be better off doing 3 A2's.

batbat1306: I would definitely recommend that you follow the advice of virtually everyone else on here, which is to go for 3 A2s in year 13. If your mum still wants you to do 4 A2s, show her this thread (and all the people agreeing that 3 A2s is the best choice). Still ignoring your opinion? Speak to the school about it and make sure that the school speak to your mum. Still ignoring your opinion, even after that? Go with the 3 A2s and tell her that your life is yours, not hers.

ReputationRep:
    Can you travel to France perhaps in the spring half-term break it costs £20 from London to Paris on the megabus which you can get overnight and get a hostel bed for £10 a night and 4 of you could get a private 4-bed ensuite room and say you went from monday 14th March to Friday 18th March so you would leave London on Sunday and arrive in Paris on Monday morning and then leave Friday night to get back to London on Saturday morning then home for Saturday night and all good for Monday, you spend 5 days touring and researching the amazing things in Paris and videoing the whole thing which shown to your french tutor would impress them and could even provide the motivation to do french at A2 from knowing what a great language and culture french is.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely 3 A2s, no question about it - 4 A2s incl French would be a nightmare. I'd be surprised if your mum did 4 full A Levels too!

ReputationRep:
    3A2 definitely, get your school to inform her that usually people take 3A2s!!!! Doing 4 would be crazily complicated!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much to everyone that has given advice- it's good to see that I'm not the only one with this opinion 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.