The Student Room Group

Should I just forget about him? Do you think I scared him away?

This is really quite an embarrassing topic but I have to share with someone. Since I was younger I struggled with excessive sweating,my mum had to literally beg my doctor to prescribe something for it. I still use it to this day (mostly in the summer time) and recently my armpits have become over sensitive. I decided to shave (bad idea) a couple days ago and my deodorant basically failed me.

I had Date that night beforehand I made sure all was well. Then throughout the date I was very hot and sweaty (I didn’t think anything of it). He even laughed at me being sweaty because I kept fanning myself.

I decided to go to the bathroom to take off a layer of clothing where I realised my deodorant wasn’t working. I tried to convince myself it wasn’t bad however I know I’d probably be somewhat put off.

This never usually happens to me. At the beginning of the date we were distant since our last date didn’t end too well. We were play fighting halfway throughout the evening though so we were back to normal. But near the end of the evening we were a little distant, by this time I know he was tired and the TV had stopped working so there wasn’t much to do. I can’t seem to gauge if he was put off since we were distant on and off during the date.

We haven’t spoken in about three days. This is the usual pattern, we go through periods where we don’t talk for about 4-5 days then out of the blue he will check to see if I’m alive and we’ll meet up.

This is really bugging me since it is a huge pet peeve of mine and I am really embarrassed about it. I was really hoping he would overlook it….I don’t know what to do at this point.

Should I just accept that he probably won’t reach out to me again?
Original post by Anonymous
This is really quite an embarrassing topic but I have to share with someone. Since I was younger I struggled with excessive sweating,my mum had to literally beg my doctor to prescribe something for it. I still use it to this day (mostly in the summer time) and recently my armpits have become over sensitive. I decided to shave (bad idea) a couple days ago and my deodorant basically failed me.

I had Date that night beforehand I made sure all was well. Then throughout the date I was very hot and sweaty (I didn’t think anything of it). He even laughed at me being sweaty because I kept fanning myself.

I decided to go to the bathroom to take off a layer of clothing where I realised my deodorant wasn’t working. I tried to convince myself it wasn’t bad however I know I’d probably be somewhat put off.

This never usually happens to me. At the beginning of the date we were distant since our last date didn’t end too well. We were play fighting halfway throughout the evening though so we were back to normal. But near the end of the evening we were a little distant, by this time I know he was tired and the TV had stopped working so there wasn’t much to do. I can’t seem to gauge if he was put off since we were distant on and off during the date.

We haven’t spoken in about three days. This is the usual pattern, we go through periods where we don’t talk for about 4-5 days then out of the blue he will check to see if I’m alive and we’ll meet up.

This is really bugging me since it is a huge pet peeve of mine and I am really embarrassed about it. I was really hoping he would overlook it….I don’t know what to do at this point.

Should I just accept that he probably won’t reach out to me again?

While I understand why this would make you self conscious the vast majority of decent people wouldn't care at all so tbh I think it's unlikely that this put him off and if it did he's really not worth your time. Maybe he was a bit stand offs ih because you were feeling self conscious and didn't want to make you uncomfortable? At the end of the day you have the right to ask for a reason for his behaviour so don't be afraid to contact him to just ask how he felt it went :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
While I understand why this would make you self conscious the vast majority of decent people wouldn't care at all so tbh I think it's unlikely that this put him off and if it did he's really not worth your time. Maybe he was a bit stand offs ih because you were feeling self conscious and didn't want to make you uncomfortable? At the end of the day you have the right to ask for a reason for his behaviour so don't be afraid to contact him to just ask how he felt it went :smile:

Hi. You might be right, infact I hope you're right. There are many reasons why he could have been acting the way he was, based on how things were last time, I think he decided to give me a little space. However once the sweating was brought to light I wasn't sure if he was stand offish because of this. I didn't even hug him at the end of the night since I was so embarrassed about it.

I honestly wouldn't know what to say to him. I feel like his behaviour could be a reflection of mine or the sweating was a huge issue for him (sorry if I've confused you).
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. You might be right, infact I hope you're right. There are many reasons why he could have been acting the way he was, based on how things were last time, I think he decided to give me a little space. However once the sweating was brought to light I wasn't sure if he was stand offish because of this. I didn't even hug him at the end of the night since I was so embarrassed about it.

I honestly wouldn't know what to say to him. I feel like his behaviour could be a reflection of mine or the sweating was a huge issue for him (sorry if I've confused you).

I think it's more likely that his behaviour is a reflection of your behaviour rather than the sweating, you don't need to bring it up with him but if you're hoping to go on another date then just text him saying you hope he had fun and that you'd like to see him again :smile:
Reply 4
Why don't you contact him to make sure he is alive does he always have to initiate it. If he was distant it could be for many reasons.
Reply 5
Original post by chikane
Why don't you contact him to make sure he is alive does he always have to initiate it. If he was distant it could be for many reasons.

I know. I do reach out to him from time to time. We haven't been seeing each other long and I've been in touch quite a bit. In the beginning it was most him that would get in touch every few days, but gradually I've been making more of an effort. I was the one that asked him to meet up a couple days ago.
Reply 6
Original post by Blondie987
I think it's more likely that his behaviour is a reflection of your behaviour rather than the sweating, you don't need to bring it up with him but if you're hoping to go on another date then just text him saying you hope he had fun and that you'd like to see him again :smile:

That sounds about right. Its weird because the play fighting was instigated by me and if I hadn't, I don't think he would have. I'll work it out - thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending