Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me see where I have gone wrong with this question?

Mould is spreading through a piece of cheese of mass 1 kg in such a way that at a time t days, x kg of the cheese has become mouldy where

dx/dt = 2x(1-x)

Given that initially 0.01 kg of the cheese is mouldy, show that x = (e^2t)/(99+e^2t)

I end up with the solution x = (e^2t)/([1/A] + e^2t), but 1/A evalutes to 100 as 1/0.01 and not 99?

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    Can anyone help me see where I have gone wrong with this question?

Mould is spreading through a piece of cheese of mass 1 kg in such a way that at a time t days, x kg of the cheese has become mouldy where

dx/dt = 2x(1-x)

Given that initially 0.01 kg of the cheese is mouldy, show that x = (e^2t)/(99+e^2t)

I end up with the solution x = (e^2t)/([1/A] + e^2t), but 1/A evalutes to 100 as 1/0.01 and not 99?

Thank you for your help
    Just use your initial condition

x(t)=\dfrac{e^{2t}}{\frac{1}{A} + e^{2t}}

x(0)=0.01 \text{kg}=\dfrac{1}{\frac{1}{A}+  1}

Rearrange for A or 1/A and plug back in to your expression for x(t)

It might help you if you write your general expression in terms of B=1/A rather than 1/A. You can do this because A is just some arbitrary constant, so rewriting it in terms of some other arbitrary constant doesn't change anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Just use your initial condition

x(t)=\dfrac{e^{2t}}{\frac{1}{A} + e^{2t}}

x(0)=0.01 \text{kg}=\dfrac{1}{\frac{1}{A}+  1}

Rearrange for A or 1/A and plug back in to your expression for x(t)

It might help you if you write your general expression in terms of B=1/A rather than 1/A. You can do this because A is just some arbitrary constant, so rewriting it in terms of some other arbitrary constant doesn't change anything.
    Thank you so much, I see the proof now

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.