abitpissy
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is Partial pressure of oxygen and what does it have to do with the saturation of haemoglobin?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The partial pressure of oxygen is a measure of the concentration of oxygen in a solution; each of the gases dissolved in a solution exert a partial pressure. The higher the partial pressure of oxygen, the more saturated haemoglobin will be with it, but the relationship exhibits a very interesting sigmoidal relationship that allows Hb to change its affinity for oxygen quite drastically over a small range of values. This means that Hb is very efficient at taking up oxygen in the lungs (where the partial pressure of oxygen is high) and also very efficient at releasing it in respiring tissues around the body (where the partial pressure of oxygen is low). Hb's affinity for oxygen is also influenced by various allosteric effectors, but if I start talking about those, I won't stop.
abitpissy
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my textbook it talks about how the lugworm's haemoglobin is fully loaded with oxygen even with little available.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  350.9 KB

However, with the lugworm respiring surely the CO2 level is high and the O2 is limitled. With the CO2 being acidic as a solution, hence causing the tertiary shape to change in the haemoglobin. This causes a low affinity for oxygen. Am I correct in thinking so? Then why would the haemoglobin of the lugworm be packed full with oxygen?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The lugworm has specifically evolved to produce haemoglobin with a massive affinity for oxygen, as a result of living in an environment with very little oxygen available. In other words, it would take a much lower concentration of O2 to cause it to dissociate from lugworm haemoglobin. Their haemoglobin probably works differently from ours, with a much smaller response to H+ concentration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.75%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (304)
29.89%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (493)
48.48%

Watched Threads