How hard are a levels? Watch

Jo_Watson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am starting my a levels in September this year, and am kind of nervous about how difficult they are going to be.
I have chosen Theatre studies, English lit and lang and Art. I am predicted high Bs in all for GCSE but I am pretty sure I am going to be able to get an A in them.
When I do my a levels they will have gotten rid of AS, will that make it really hard?
Thanks.
terrybay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i found them easy at the time but theyre hard compared to first year of uni
PerksOfBeingEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jo_Watson)
I am starting my a levels in September this year, and am kind of nervous about how difficult they are going to be.
I have chosen Theatre studies, English lit and lang and Art. I am predicted high Bs in all for GCSE but I am pretty sure I am going to be able to get an A in them.
When I do my a levels they will have gotten rid of AS, will that make it really hard?
Thanks.
Art was the most time consuming for me. I spent 80% of my spare time on it and still just got a C. English lit and lang I found was a huge jump up from GCSES, much more so than any other of my A- Levels. In a way, the fact that they've scrapped the AS levels may be helpful because it'll let you really get to grip with the subjects before exams, instead panicking about first year exams. ☺️
Jo_Watson
Rep:
?
(Original post by terrybay)
i found them easy at the time but theyre hard compared to first year of uni
Is the first year of uni easy then?
Jo_Watson
Rep:
?
(Original post by PerksOfBeingEm)
Art was the most time consuming for me. I spent 80% of my spare time on it and still just got a C. English lit and lang I found was a huge jump up from GCSES, much more so than any other of my A- Levels. In a way, the fact that they've scrapped the AS levels may be helpful because it'll let you really get to grip with the subjects before exams, instead panicking about first year exams. ☺️
Yeah I can tell that art is gonna be really tough...What did you get in English?
terrybay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is the first year of uni easy then?
Yeah got 80s and 90s in first year now onpy getting around 50 in exams and 70s in coursework in 2nd and 3rd year. It also doesnt mean anything in the calculation of your degree
hunihuni
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There were some people in my class who never did revision and aced all their exams, whereas I had to revise plenty to get it perfect. But these people tended to have way too many perfect GCSEs also and did perfect in A-levels, some with perfect GCSEs also did badly. My point is, it depends on you - but the best advice I could give is start as soon as you are free from your GCSEs. Tell yourself enough before the classes even begin and do not stress
PerksOfBeingEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I can tell that art is gonna be really tough...What did you get in English?
At GCSES I got A* for both lit and lang
At AS I got a B (whereas most of my class got Ds)
At A2 predicted an A

I feel that I should point out that my AS spec was difficult. I'm actually finding A2 much easier than AS.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
STEM subjects are very hard compared to GCSEs
ECONOMICS is hard too
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
STEM subjects are very hard compared to GCSEs
ECONOMICS is hard too
:yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%