Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any advice guys? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

Just needing some advice or personal opinions on this please. I am currently a student, and work only 1 day out of the week therefore I want to earn a little more cash on the side. I was basically wondering if buying and selling cars from an auctions is a good idea, even if it's just a £100/200 profit. Also, if I did so, I would only buy cars that I know very well of, both mechanically and their worth (e.g. VW Golf/Polo with low mileage under £1,500) . I've purchased a car in the past from an auction and sold it around 10/11 months later with a decent profit. Perhaps I got lucky? Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else does this or their advice on this, Pros/cons,

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any mechanics / car maintenance skills?

Are you comfortable doing a service yourself? oil/oil filter/fuel filter/air filter/coolant check/ etc

ReputationRep:
    You would need insurance to drive any car (which cant be obtained under the age of 25) or a way to transport them home (can be expensive) Similarly. After you sell a few cars you would be required to get a trader licence because you'd be concidered a car dealer. it all adds up to a lot and isnt as cheap as you might originally think. Also people are less likely to buy a car that they know has been damaged and repaired.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.