The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham or UCL??

Ok well I had originally really wanted to study English and creative writing at Warwick, but I got rejected so that's wonderful. Now I have to choose between UCL and Birmingham.

What's great about Birmingham is that its the same course as Warwick, and I already live there so it'll be much cheaper compared to UCL which is obviously in London so it's very expensive.

The course I had initially applied for at UCL is English lit but I got rejected from that and they changed it to comparative literature, which is a pretty interesting course.

I'm just not too sure about moving away from home, especially to a massive city where I don't know anyone. But at the same time, I'm not sure if Birmingham is as good as UCL.

I eventually want to go to Egypt and work, so would it really make a difference if I go to UCL or birmingham? They're also both red brick so aren't they both reputable?

Please help, I'm really torn.
Reply 1
Original post by Maryam101
I'm just not too sure about moving away from home, especially to a massive city where I don't know anyone.
I eventually want to go to Egypt and work

I mean, you see the irony, right?

Life means change, and change is fun. You'll get used to living somewhere different, just like everyone else does. Besides, London is massive, but people are still people :smile: Remember also that you won't be alone in your situational boat!

In any case, I'd advise you to pick the university/city you'll have the most interesting and productive time at.

For what it's worth: UCL is a much stronger/more prestigious university, generally speaking. But then Birmingham sounds like it has a really beautiful campus, and it's also a decent institution not to be sneered at.
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Juanitor

I mean, you see the irony, right?

Life means change, and change is fun. You'll get used to living somewhere different, just like everyone else does. Besides, London is massive, but people are still people :smile: Remember also that you won't be alone in your situational boat!

In any case, I'd advise you to pick the university/city you'll have the most interesting and productive time at.

For what it's worth: UCL is a much stronger/more prestigious university, generally speaking. But then Birmingham sounds like it has a really beautiful campus, and it's also a decent institution not to be sneered at.

Haha its not really the same because I grew up in Egypt and that's where all my family and close friends live. I'm honestly leaning towards Birmingham, just because its just more practical and I prefer the course but my biggest worry is that I would have a better chance at gaining employment if I go to UCL rather than Birmingham.
Reply 3
Original post by Maryam101
Haha its not really the same because I grew up in Egypt and that's where all my family and close friends live. I'm honestly leaning towards Birmingham, just because its just more practical and I prefer the course but my biggest worry is that I would have a better chance at gaining employment if I go to UCL rather than Birmingham.

What kind of job are you hoping for, with a degree in English/Creative Writing? Because I don't think the university you go to will have a big effect on your career as a writer, for example...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending