This discussion is closed.
SamTheMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
posh or common?
Which one are you? I'd say posh but too scared to admit it!
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I used to get the piss taken out of my voice a lot, because I apparently spoke with a plum in my mouth, so I'd say common. Cos I deliberately altered my voice so they'd accept me, innit .
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i probably am posh, i did the whole private school/horse riding/skiing holiday/house abroad kind of thing... my bf always teases me about it as well cos he reckons he's common while apparently i live in the 'posh' bit of town. my mums a londener so she's posh + my dad is from glasgow but went to a decent school there...

garrrrr i'm posh!

lou xxx
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It seems to have been a while since there was a thread about class here. There was a flurry of them about a fortnight ago for some reason.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shushimeng)
i am quiet common when i talk to my friends but when i meet a stranger or when i talk to teachers etc, i will change to completely different person. i never intent to do that, weird how i can change myself quikly.
ooo i'm like that as well
i seem to change my accent when i talk to different people. esp when i speak to customers on the telephone
Don Quixote
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I live in Bolton so I'm probably common by association, although I have a varied vocabulary and know proper speak but I don't speak properly because no one else around me does, but I write formally and as is expected. Let's not quarrel over semantics and labels...
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Posh little fux0rs
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
posh or common?
Well apparently I'm common because I have a flag on my car!
risk-is-good
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Posh. Another well-spoken guy from Bucks here.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
in fact i should change mine to common

especialy as my dad comes from a nice rough part of Glasgow
which is the rough part of glasgow? (my dad is a glaswegian as well)... i thought it was all rough :rolleyes:

lou xxx
endorf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
not either, but if i had to say one it would be posh.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol yeah it is all rough

cant remember what it is called, think it might be primrose hill or something like that

it's near Govan i think :confused:
ah right, i don't know glasgow that well. my dads from newton mearns, which i think is kinda middly. he went to glasgow academy tho which is posh. (but paisley uni which is just crap)

lou xxx
d750
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Whats_The_411?)
My background illistrates that i'm common more so than posh. I know where i've come from and i'm just trying to better myself through education so that i wont remain so. I'm not saying i'm ashamed or anything as i'm proud of where I have come from and what i've seen. It's made me a more rounded person.

I'm just trying to turn a negative into a positive picture.
Common / posh doesn't necessarily reflect a value judgement - it's simply descriptive. Saying that education is "bettering" yourself does rather imply that you think "common" is worse than "posh".
Whats_The_411?
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by d750)
Saying that education is "bettering" yourself does rather imply that you think "common" is worse than "posh".
I guess i should read what i write first. Education has opened my eyes to issues surrounding social policy and the rights of people which i am interested in. As a result i am more motivated to make changes to society so that people irrespective of class have equal access to recieve equal service. When i say bettering i simply reflect it to these lines. I know what i said seemed to suggest otherwise but im not saying that being common is worse than being posh. I will never say that.
glance
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol yeah it is all rough

cant remember what it is called, think it might be primrose hill or something like that

it's near Govan i think :confused:
Ah, well we were taught about Govan in geography, because it was so rough lol.

And I come from High Wycombe, serious narb, almost as rough as Glasgow
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
To southerners I probably sound common what do you think?

*This is a high quality recording*
I've your voice before! I downloaded a song off kazaa a while ago and it had this annoying 'Manc' saying the exact same phrase as is on your clip over and over on top of the song, :confused:

I think i was Stairway to Heaven but i'm no sure.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
I'd say i'm more posh as opposed to common...
maz_superstar
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
people that Im more posh as I prenounce some words in a posh accent.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
Maybe i only think i'm posh because i'm comparing myself to people from somerset, elsewhere in England people have said the opposite about me...
kirbz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd say common but I go to a private school so I'm stereotyped as a snob - but I'm not!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.98%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (32)
8.51%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (84)
22.34%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (48)
12.77%
No, nothing has changed (112)
29.79%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.62%

Watched Threads