Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    posh or common?
    Which one are you? I'd say posh but too scared to admit it!

ReputationRep:
    I used to get the piss taken out of my voice a lot, because I apparently spoke with a plum in my mouth, so I'd say common. Cos I deliberately altered my voice so they'd accept me, innit .

ReputationRep:
    i probably am posh, i did the whole private school/horse riding/skiing holiday/house abroad kind of thing... my bf always teases me about it as well cos he reckons he's common while apparently i live in the 'posh' bit of town. my mums a londener so she's posh + my dad is from glasgow but went to a decent school there...

garrrrr i'm posh!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    It seems to have been a while since there was a thread about class here. There was a flurry of them about a fortnight ago for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    i am quiet common when i talk to my friends but when i meet a stranger or when i talk to teachers etc, i will change to completely different person. i never intent to do that, weird how i can change myself quikly.
    ooo i'm like that as well
    i seem to change my accent when i talk to different people. esp when i speak to customers on the telephone

ReputationRep:
    I live in Bolton so I'm probably common by association, although I have a varied vocabulary and know proper speak but I don't speak properly because no one else around me does, but I write formally and as is expected. Let's not quarrel over semantics and labels...

ReputationRep:
    Posh little fux0rs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    posh or common?
    Well apparently I'm common because I have a flag on my car!

ReputationRep:
    Posh. Another well-spoken guy from Bucks here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    in fact i should change mine to common

especialy as my dad comes from a nice rough part of Glasgow
    which is the rough part of glasgow? (my dad is a glaswegian as well)... i thought it was all rough :rolleyes:

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    not either, but if i had to say one it would be posh.

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah it is all rough

cant remember what it is called, think it might be primrose hill or something like that

it's near Govan i think :confused:
    ah right, i don't know glasgow that well. my dads from newton mearns, which i think is kinda middly. he went to glasgow academy tho which is posh. (but paisley uni which is just crap)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    My background illistrates that i'm common more so than posh. I know where i've come from and i'm just trying to better myself through education so that i wont remain so. I'm not saying i'm ashamed or anything as i'm proud of where I have come from and what i've seen. It's made me a more rounded person.

I'm just trying to turn a negative into a positive picture.
    Common / posh doesn't necessarily reflect a value judgement - it's simply descriptive. Saying that education is "bettering" yourself does rather imply that you think "common" is worse than "posh".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Saying that education is "bettering" yourself does rather imply that you think "common" is worse than "posh".
    I guess i should read what i write first. Education has opened my eyes to issues surrounding social policy and the rights of people which i am interested in. As a result i am more motivated to make changes to society so that people irrespective of class have equal access to recieve equal service. When i say bettering i simply reflect it to these lines. I know what i said seemed to suggest otherwise but im not saying that being common is worse than being posh. I will never say that.

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah it is all rough

cant remember what it is called, think it might be primrose hill or something like that

it's near Govan i think :confused:
    Ah, well we were taught about Govan in geography, because it was so rough lol.

And I come from High Wycombe, serious narb, almost as rough as Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    To southerners I probably sound common what do you think?

*This is a high quality recording*
    I've your voice before! I downloaded a song off kazaa a while ago and it had this annoying 'Manc' saying the exact same phrase as is on your clip over and over on top of the song, :confused:

I think i was Stairway to Heaven but i'm no sure.

I'd say i'm more posh as opposed to common...

people that Im more posh as I prenounce some words in a posh accent.

Maybe i only think i'm posh because i'm comparing myself to people from somerset, elsewhere in England people have said the opposite about me...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say common but I go to a private school so I'm stereotyped as a snob - but I'm not!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.