Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    In what way? I eat my tea on the sette, but I am quite well spoken, what does that make me?
    u dont eat tea u drink it!

Tea isn't always a drink, he could have meant it in the context of being an evening meal which is what i call it as well, as opposed to supper or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Tea isn't always a drink, he could have meant it in the context of being an evening meal which is what i call it as well, as opposed to supper or something.
    Yeah I call it tea too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    posh or common?
    I am most definitely more posh, both in speech and in action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    Yeah I call it tea too
    So do I. Dinner is the mid-day meal, not the evening one, I hate it when people keep calling it dinner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    So do I. Dinner is the mid-day meal, not the evening one, I hate it when people keep calling it dinner.

i say lunch for midday and tea for evening meal - is that the posh or the common way?

ReputationRep:
    I heard a recording of my voice yesterday, and I'm more rah than I though. Posh, I afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Seems most UKL-ers are posh people!

*returns back to game of croquet*

ReputationRep:
    No

Dinner is the main cooked meal of the day, if it's eaten at midday time then the evening meal is tea, if the main meal (dinner) is eaten in the evening the midday meal is called lunch. Simple.

Supper is later than tea

Oh, and I am common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    i say lunch for midday and tea for evening meal - is that the posh or the common way?
    that's what i say as well!!
    i thought i was posh but then i went to a st georges day meal...with a duke and duchess :eek: so now i think i'm definitely common!

ReputationRep:
    Luncheon = Lunch
    Tea = afternoon selection of cucumber sandwiches and earl gray tea
    Dinner = evening meal, preceeding cheese selection and coffee with after-dinner mints.
    Supper = anything left over which cook can throw together in a messy, but secretly organised fashion.

ReputationRep:
    i don't class myself as posh - though i do live in a rather affluent area and have only been to private schools, i do like white wine however

ReputationRep:
    There should be a "neither" option on that poll....because I don't really think I couldcall myself either "posh" or "common".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)

*returns back to game of croquet*
    funny you should say that i was playing croquet the other day, although we were using bits of stick for the hoops and a baseball bat and we just made up the rules as we went along....kind of a golf/croquet hybrid if you like....muchos upper class fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    funny you should say that i was playing croquet the other day, although we were using bits of stick for the hoops and a baseball bat and we just made up the rules as we went along....kind of a golf/croquet hybrid if you like....muchos upper class fun
    jolly good! sounds spiffing !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    No

Dinner is the main cooked meal of the day, if it's eaten at midday time then the evening meal is tea, if the main meal (dinner) is eaten in the evening the midday meal is called lunch. Simple.

Supper is later than tea

Oh, and I am common.
    But what if you have two cooked meals in a day?

ReputationRep:
    Then you get overweight! No wonder the UK 1 in 5 Brits are obese (1 in 4 women )!

ReputationRep:
    braskfast (morning)
    lunch(midday)
    tea time (4oclock)
    dinner(night)
    thats how i learnt it in yr 6 (when i was doing french in france!)

ReputationRep:
    it's not about what is served, it's when it's served.

Up to 2 hours after you have woken up = breakfast
    2 hours to 4 hours after you have woken up if you havent had a meal yet = brunch
    Second meal of the day taken after 12 and before 3:30 = lunch
    Any substantial eating/drinking between 3:30 and 6:30 = tea
    Meal between 6:30 and 8 = Dinner
    Any meal eaten after 8 = Supper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    I'm not posh, but I can convincingly pretend to be.

know what you mean!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.