The Student Room Group

DSA's for those with mental health conditions?

Hi,

I was wondering what the situation is with DSAs in regards to people with mental health problems. I've read that you can get money for it but I've also read that you get things such as laptops and whatnot instead of actual money?
I suffer from depression and body dysmorphia and have done so for around 3 or 4 years. Benefitting from a laptop or a printer would not personally help me, as it may do with others with mental disabilities.
It would be beneficial for me to receive money for paying for my medications and for paying for therapeutic activities and I was wondering if this does happen? Also, do what DSAs offer in terms of cash/material things differ depending on the university?

(NOTE: I would prefer if fellow people with mental health problems would reply to this seeing as I've seen a bit of intolerance/ignorance in regards to mental health on this website, I've also seen people insinuate that those with mental health problems are greedy to claim for DSAs, so if you are going to be like this please don't reply).
Original post by warszawa
Hi,

I was wondering what the situation is with DSAs in regards to people with mental health problems. I've read that you can get money for it but I've also read that you get things such as laptops and whatnot instead of actual money?
I suffer from depression and body dysmorphia and have done so for around 3 or 4 years. Benefitting from a laptop or a printer would not personally help me, as it may do with others with mental disabilities.
It would be beneficial for me to receive money for paying for my medications and for paying for therapeutic activities and I was wondering if this does happen? Also, do what DSAs offer in terms of cash/material things differ depending on the university?

(NOTE: I would prefer if fellow people with mental health problems would reply to this seeing as I've seen a bit of intolerance/ignorance in regards to mental health on this website, I've also seen people insinuate that those with mental health problems are greedy to claim for DSAs, so if you are going to be like this please don't reply).

Dsa can't pay for medications(as a student you can fill in a hc1 form which depending on your income will get you a discount if not cover your prescription costs for you) however it will pay for a mental health mentor and 1:1 study skills support and they can recommend exam adjustments if you d benefit from them :smile: dsa is paid for by student finance so it shouldn't vary too much by university.
Reply 2
They'll only pay for things you need as a disabled student. You'd still need to pay for medication if you weren't a student so they won't pay for this unfortunately.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi

DSA helps with study related costs only so wouldn't pay for things like medication or therapeutic activities.

Depending on your needs assessment you can get things like laptops, printers, dictaphones, taxi allowance etc... it is not money you recieve, like ESA, it just buys equipment or non medical helpers (like a support worker). Some things like books or ink etc will mean money is refunded into your account but you won't be given money as such.

Hope this helps, I recieve DSA for my mental health problems.
Reply 4
Original post by warszawa
Hi,

Dsa is only to help with study related problems. So you won't get help with medication, as you would need that whether you're a student or not. It also won't give you actual cash; you get things. You can get a physical thing, like a dictaphone, or can be awarded things like a non-medical helper. You can be awarded monetary things, but if so it would be for something specific like printer credit and you can't spend it on anything else.

The award wouldn't vary just because the uniyou attend is different. The only reason it would vary is if your needs were different. This might happen if the course has different components in a different uni - even courses with the same name will sometimes vary. Or one uni might have differences in the layout that means certain help isn't necessary (if you imagine differences in the number of stairs between unis then this should demonstrate the differing levels of help someone in a wheelchair might need).
I have depression and as part of my DSA they gave me a laptop so I could work from home on days I couldn't get out of bed.

As others have said they don't give you any money, they just give a bunch of money to the supplier and directly to the University so you can get software and equipment. They won't pay for medication or therapeutic activity as you'd have to pay for this if you were a student or not.
You may be entitled to PIP if you have care and /or mobility needs too. This is paid regardless of whether you're a student.

All the information in this thread is pretty much spot on. DSA is generally given in the form of non-medical helpers, such as note takers or mentors (I'm sure there's a thread explaining more about what mental health mentors do) and equipment, such as a laptop, dictaphone, software, etc.

As someone with a long term problem, DSA is the only way you can get exam arrangements if you need them.

If you're awarded things like cost of taxis to and from uni, you have to pay this first. You then claim back the difference between public transport (because as a non disabled student, you'd have this cost) and a taxi.

Quick Reply

Latest