Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government will prosecute students who don't repay student loans Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    It's not far from the truth though really is it? Nowhere near as much work as an average full time job in most cases. Depends on degree of course.
    Paid employment and university study are two completely different things. There's no correlation (Source: I did full-time jobs for 23 years before going to uni).

Unless, of course, you're suggesting that universities pay undergraduates a living wage for three years, in return for putting in a 37.5 hour week of study? Personally I think that would be an excellent idea. Shame it's unaffordable, but hey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool Saint)
    The quicker we phase out Micky mouse studies like art and force students not to take these degrees, the better things will be
    It may amuse you to know that I have both a Mickey Mouse degree *and* Masters. Do enjoy that thought as you plough off to your nine-to-five drag tomorrow (I assume that you work full-timein a valuable profession, given that you place so much value on useful employment). I'll be off to uni - currently in my seventh year of pottering around campus.

As a wise man once said: "The fact it will not go down well is the very reason I am doing it."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    It may amuse you to know that I have both a Mickey Mouse degree *and* Masters. Do enjoy that thought as you plough off to your nine-to-five drag tomorrow (I assume that you work full-timein a valuable profession, given that you place so much value on useful employment). I'll be off to uni - currently in my seventh year of pottering around campus.

As a wise man once said: "The fact it will not go down well is the very reason I am doing it."
    That is good reasoning, I will not argue against that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    What you all make of this with the government punishing any student who fails to repay their student loan on time?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...-a6869221.html
    It's fair.

ReputationRep:
    I will just go to court and say fight me.

ReputationRep:
    I've changed my mind, we could do with a whole team of academics to teach you elementary logic.

What exactly do you object to? The fact I have pointed out that Ludwig Wittgenstein, one of the most respected philosophers in the tradition no longer considers it relevant? The fact I have pointed out that most writers and artists are not university professors and many don't even receive a university education?
    The logic is this, you used a small handful or "writers and artists" to justify the wiping out of a multitude of arts and academic disciplines across the country. So if that's the logic you are willing to teach, then please don't try, I don't want to learn it.

It's akin to those who say you don't need to go to uni because Alan Sugar didn't go.

If you think that's good logic, then feel free to jog in. I'm not surprised that your poor logic when it comes to sexism extends to other areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    The logic is this, you used a small handful or "writers and artists" to justify the wiping out of a multitude of arts and academic disciplines across the country. So if that's the logic you are willing to teach, then please don't try, I don't want to learn it.

It's akin to those who say you don't need to go to uni because Alan Sugar didn't go.

If you think that's good logic, then feel free to jog in. I'm not surprised that your poor logic when it comes to sexism extends to other areas.
    Lol I see how it is personal attacks to substitute argument. I wonder is someone doing an arts degree?

I have no interest in eradicating arts in society, just pretentious academics and professors who monopolise them. Comparing Alan Sugar to Orwell, Proust and Tolstoy just shows how ignorant you are, the difference is most good writers, musicians, dancers, painters et al are not academics.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I see how it is personal attacks to substitute argument. I wonder is someone doing an arts degree?

I have no interest in eradicating arts in society, just pretentious academics and professors who monopolise them. Comparing Alan Sugar to Orwell, Proust and Tolstoy just shows how ignorant you are, the difference is most good writers, musicians, dancers, painters et al are not academics.
    It's not an insult, just an observation.

I'm actually not doing an arts degree. But from my 3 years of doing a science degree, I can see that your logic is pretty flawed, I think you know that though. You can't use a handful of anecdotes to justify eradicating an entire series of professions.

If you get rid of all the arts schools, you will eradicate all the arts. The studying of art is what helps to keep it alive, and what inspires people. If you eradicate the arts as an academic discipline, you will greatly reduce its influence on people, so the chance of new talent spawning will be reduced.

I think you're confusing creativity and talent with academia as well.

It's just logic. I know what you mean by the pretentious types, but you can't make everyone suffer just to eradicate those.

ReputationRep:

Some times people take arts subjects, like drama, for other reasons. I changed my single honours sociology degree, to a joint honours one including theatre, not particularly because of my love for drama, but because i could see myself failing the single honours degree if i kept on at it. I simply got on very bad with the majority of the teaching team at that time.

Drama/theatre, may actually have some strengths, such as Shakespeare, or well such as. Please don't denigrate what you don't understand okay??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Yeah you really sound like such a bright spark yourself. Mama and papa wasted their money son.
    that's probably true.
    but I, unlike the scroungers, paid for my studies (not in the UK btw) from my money, I managed to work for it. What's about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Some times people take arts subjects, like drama, for other reasons. I changed my single honours sociology degree, to a joint honours one including theatre, not particularly because of my love for drama, but because i could see myself failing the single honours degree if i kept on at it. I simply got on very bad with the majority of the teaching team at that time.

Drama/theatre, may actually have some strengths, such as Shakespeare, or well such as. Please don't denigrate what you don't understand okay??
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    If you get rid of all the arts schools, you will eradicate all the arts. The studying of art is what helps to keep it alive, and what inspires people. If you eradicate the arts as an academic discipline, you will greatly reduce its influence on people, so the chance of new talent spawning will be reduced.
    I never said I wanted to get rid of arts schools, I said I wanted to get rid of arts degrees, in the case of drama The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art is a perfectly valid institution.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not earning enough to repay my student loans I was under the old system when tuition fees were like 3k a year I finished uni in 2014
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnomes&Knights)
    What if your earning below the threshold your whole life though? I can't repay if I'm earning below £21,000 a year.
    (Original post by iEthan)
    ^^^ this...
    (Original post by Gnomes&Knights)
    I guess the Tories are just a bunch of senseless snobs who can't relate to any poor working class individual.
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    Are they getting rid of the £21 thousand thing.

Im not sure what I think about this. I understand that its a loan it needs to be paid back. But its gonna be quite hard for someone with no job- although one of the main purposes of uni is to help you get a job.

Maybe this will stop some people from going to uni who might think that if they don't earn more than £21 thousand than they don't have to pay it back. Although I doubt anyone does this anyway and if they do its kinda pointless.
    It's clear that you guys are either anti-Tory or failed to read the article.

This proposal is about targeting those who fail to register their student loan with HMRC when taking up employment (it's literally a tick box) or those who go abroad and fail to inform the UK authorities of their new employee arrangement to make payment.

Basically, people who actively evade paying. I don't see how any of you cannot cheer the Tories on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

This proposal is about targeting those who fail to register their student loan with HMRC when taking up employment (it's literally a tick box) or those who go abroad and fail to inform the UK authorities of their new employee arrangement to make payment.

Basically, people who actively evade paying. I don't see how any of you cannot cheer the Tories on here.
    If im honest, I didn't read the article. I think what they are doing are perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    What degree do you hold?

(Original post by _icecream)
    I'm not earning enough to repay my student loans I was under the old system when tuition fees were like 3k a year I finished uni in 2014
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Kholmes1)
    If im honest, I didn't read the article. I think what they are doing are perfectly fine.
    Please see above. No need to get uppity about it. :hugs: I have no real qualms, was just further highlighting a question, which was addressed and I did not continue to have concerns.

ReputationRep:
    I never said I wanted to get rid of arts schools, I said I wanted to get rid of arts degrees, in the case of drama The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art is a perfectly valid institution.
    If you get rid of the degrees, you'll get rid of the schools, or do you have any ideas for how to replace the £9,000 per year per student means to fund the schools?

ReputationRep:

There was something the article about a freeze on the threshold and it argued it was because at today's rates most students (even those paying it back) are never going to pay it in full because they don't earn enough. Honestly having paid back my full loan which was tiny admittedly tiny, I could have paid it back at quadruple the rate easily and still had plenty of savings.

The current thresholds are extremely generous. The major problem is just that the loans are ridiculous amounts and often not worth it, people should make a decision on whether or not taking such a huge commitment is worth it before doing so. Regardless those caught avoiding trying to pay their loans with the means to do so should absolutely be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    What degree do you hold?
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    Then you will graduate realise you are un-employable and ask people if they would like to go large for 30p extra, sound delightful, do enjoy "pottering" around campus as long as you like
    I graduated from my undergrad in 2011, Masters in 2012 and am just about to stop the PhD. It would seem that my last uni doesn't share your views on my employability, given that they keep offering me contracts. Research Assistant to one of the top men in my field in the world doesn't *feel* like a dead end job, but I bow to your greater enlightenment on the subject.

P.S. I'm 52 years old and worked for 20+ years before my current stint at uni. The last ten years of my employment I was a high-rate tax payer and paid off my mortgage early. I had a very successful career, but thank you for your concern about my prospects. I hope you get that lucky in your life i.e. earn enough to buy your freedom while you're still young enough to do the things you actually want to do. Not many will, these days.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.