Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions about Software Engineering at Edinburgh University Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I have recently been looking at different Universities which offer Software Engineering. When I looked at "BEng Software Engineering" at Edinburgh, I thought it looked very good. However, I also have a few questions about the entry requirements.

At GCSE, I got an A* in Maths, Physics and Computer Science. These are the three main subjects which are often needed for the course I want to do at Uni (Obviously only my A-Levels will matter. I now study Maths, Physics, Systems and Controls and Computer Science at A-Level). However, I only got a C in English Language. I know that is not very good but it's not like I can't talk English. As I am a German Citizen (have lived in England for nearly 10 years now), one of the requirements is that I need to have at least a C in English language. As I only "barely" made it, will this affect if I will be accepted at the Uni or not. Will someone with a higher grade in English Language be "preffered" over me, or is it just some requirement which every student needs to have? I am worried that this will effect my chances at Uni because I didn't do too well. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leodius)
    I have recently been looking at different Universities which offer Software Engineering. When I looked at "BEng Software Engineering" at Edinburgh, I thought it looked very good. However, I also have a few questions about the entry requirements.

At GCSE, I got an A* in Maths, Physics and Computer Science. These are the three main subjects which are often needed for the course I want to do at Uni (Obviously only my A-Levels will matter. I now study Maths, Physics, Systems and Controls and Computer Science at A-Level). However, I only got a C in English Language. I know that is not very good but it's not like I can't talk English. As I am a German Citizen (have lived in England for nearly 10 years now), one of the requirements is that I need to have at least a C in English language. As I only "barely" made it, will this affect if I will be accepted at the Uni or not. Will someone with a higher grade in English Language be "preffered" over me, or is it just some requirement which every student needs to have? I am worried that this will effect my chances at Uni because I didn't do too well. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
    Edinburgh is a competitive university and it's 9th hardest to get into in the whole UK. it happens that I have applied for the same course (basically it's software engineering with management but doesn't make a huge difference) on 15th of October and I still haven't heard from them. I got an A in maths, an A in Physics and a C in Computer Science (due to my low English level) and my teachers predicted A* in maths and 2 A on the rest.

Don't rely on this university as it will take time to get a decision. If you provide your AS level results, I can help further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geo 14323)
    Edinburgh is a competitive university and it's 9th hardest to get into in the whole UK. it happens that I have applied for the same course (basically it's software engineering with management but doesn't make a huge difference) on 15th of October and I still haven't heard from them. I got an A in maths, an A in Physics and a C in Computer Science (due to my low English level) and my teachers predicted A* in maths and 2 A on the rest.

Don't rely on this university as it will take time to get a decision. If you provide your AS level results, I can help further.
    Sorry but taking time for a decision does not mean you don't have a chance, no news is good news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusufff)
    Sorry but taking time for a decision does not mean you don't have a chance, no news is good news
    Well, it depends. At least, they have me on the list where they decide. In order to be in that list, you need to meet the minimum entry requirements (ABB) where I have way better grades.

My disadvantage is that I haven't got any GCSE qualifications and I was enforced to take them now and hopefully finish them on June.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.