Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading some discouraging blogs from chemistry graduates about the lack of job security and career progression, essentially being a lab rat stuck on 20k. Chem Eng has been on my mind and although not as interesting as chemistry is financially a safer bet, at crossroads and any input is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    It kind of depends on how you position yourself. Being a Chemist in and of itself isn't particularly lucrative career, and the average starting salaries on some courses seem disappointing. However, if you use your time to get work experience and internships you can for sure land a business job in finance or elsewhere. I would agree that Chemical Engineering is safer bet, in terms of prospects in the careers it directly relates to. If you find yourself gravitating towards Engineering it's absolutely worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    If your're good at maths Chem Eng is right for you. Chemical Engineers are much higher up in the scheme of things in corporate structure. Chemists tend to get looked down on in the companies
    I've worked at. Chem Engineers don't have to do a Phd to get on in their careers. Chem Eng courses also teach skills like project management as that is a big part of the job.
    Most of the jobs in Chen Eng are outside the UK and you won't be stuck on £18K a year analyzing waste water you be managing the chemists.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.