Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would doing a degree such as this instead of Law LLB on its own reduce my chances of a place on BVC? It is less highly regarded is what i really mean??

Any help would be appreciated

xxx

ReputationRep:
    'Law with American Studies' - where is this course offered?

I suspect that if it is not an LLB qualification i.e it awards a BA at the end, then you must take a sufficient number of modules in the core areas of the law, in order to gain the relevant exemptions. You must have all these exemptions to ensure your direct passage from the BA course (?) to a BVC/LPC course on qualification.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similary query, is it better to take a subject 'alone' or with another subject combined?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishseapower)
    I have a similary query, is it better to take a subject 'alone' or with another subject combined?
    There is no general rule for this. It really depends on - the institution, the course and how well each of the two factors relate. For example, Economics with Economic History at the LSE is one of the most prestigious courses and demands AAA at A-level for admission.
    As a guide though, as the 'with' indicates that you will be majoring in the initial subject and minoring in the latter subject - in terms of career prospects - I would try and major in the more respected subject, or alternatively the one which you want to pursue as a career.

For instance, there may be more merit in pursuing Economics with Philosophy rather than the inverse relationship should you want a job in commerce and finance.

As for whether taking a subject alone may be more favourable - it really depends on the level of respect for the course. Nobody is going to knock somebody who does PPE at Oxford or SPS at Cambridge for doing a combination course. Similarly, courses such as History and Politics - and other courses where the component factors complement each other can be viewed very positively.

Alternatively though, some people may argue that joint-honours courses can sometimes neglect both subjects and put people in a 'jack of all trades, master of none' position.

It really depends on the course, the institution and your future career ambitions. Which course(s) were you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, is this a major/minor combination or is it joint honours?

American Studies is viewed by the professions as 'mickey mouse'. Whether it truly is the case or not is irrelevant since at the end of the day it will be the employer's perception that carries the most weight. I would strongly implore that you do not do this if you want your degree to carry maximum weight in the professions.

As mentioned above in the thread, subject combinations are perfectly acceptable to enter law, so long as the core modules are included. However, law firms/chambers will want academic subjects that in some way complement your main law degree.

ReputationRep:
    The course at Nottingham is LLB Law and at the beginning of year 2 you apply to study American law, Australian law etc and you spend your third year in american or australian university. It's 4 years. Would this course be deemed unrespectable?

The course at Sussex is Law with american studies and thinking about it. It would be a waste of time doing American studies. I think the course at Nottingham seems worthwhile though. I would love to spend a year in America but not for a course like American studies. Thanks for your help.

What do you think about the Nottingham course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    The course at Nottingham is LLB Law and at the beginning of year 2 you apply to study American law, Australian law etc and you spend your third year in american or australian university. It's 4 years. Would this course be deemed unrespectable?

The course at Sussex is Law with american studies and thinking about it. It would be a waste of time doing American studies. I think the course at Nottingham seems worthwhile though. I would love to spend a year in America but not for a course like American studies. Thanks for your help.

What do you think about the Nottingham course?

I ought to take back a little of what I said then - this is not American Studies as I thought of it. Nottingham is a very good law school, and you would still be getting an LLB at the end. It seems you will get another year learning the laws of another jurisdiction. There would be nothing bad about this, however I believe that the time could be better spent. After all, this four year degree would just mean spending an extra year studying more law at the same undergraduate level. You will be a little better qualified than a straight 3 year LLB grad, but not substantially so. If you want to spend time abroad then perhaps go travelling before/after uni instead?

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't put me at a disadvantage in going onto the BVC, then i may go for it. It's a great opportunity to spend a year at an American university.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    If it doesn't put me at a disadvantage in going onto the BVC, then i may go for it. It's a great opportunity to spend a year at an American university.

Thanks for your help
    Your right. It can't hurt and it'll certainly be an experience. Do you pay american-grade tuition fees to do it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, i'm gonna e-mail the unis

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.