Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to explain your depression to your GP? Watch

Announcements

Okay, so I'm thinking about going to my GP to get some help for depression(I haven't been formally diagnosed).. I don't know how to go about explaining what I feel, how descriptive do I get? How do I know what's relevant?
    If anybody has been to their GP for depression, how did it go? what sort of questions did they ask?
    I'm just really nervous so sorry if this doesn't make much sense aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so I'm thinking about going to my GP to get some help for depression(I haven't been formally diagnosed).. I don't know how to go about explaining what I feel, how descriptive do I get? How do I know what's relevant?
    If anybody has been to their GP for depression, how did it go? what sort of questions did they ask?
    Hi, it's great to hear that you're going to your gp, that's your best first step to getting better as for describing your depression, just do what you can, I can assure that doctors will have dealt with this many, many times before and will be able to help you get the words out. Don't worry about saying something irrelevant, nothing is they're there to help and they can do that when you tell them everything you need to, wishing you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Just share what's on your mind, the doctor is there to listen. They will ask questions for things they want to know n help you be at ease when ur telling them how you're feeling. It takes a strong person to take that step in getting self-help so kudos to u. I hope it works out well :-)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's OK, I had my first appointment last week; I mentioned the voices but not quite the depression. Try writing down some ideas before and just take baby steps, say what you feel comfortable with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe there's a website called 'docready' as in doctor ready which is apparently really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    this website is really helpful : http://www.docready.org/#/home

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you all for the answers.. Im just scared he won't take me seriously or whatever & just dismiss me I guess.
    I'm not very good at speaking to new people as it is but talking about what's going on just makes it 10x worse.. Hope I don't chicken out aha
    Thank you all again 🙂🙂🙂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    thank you all for the answers.. Im just scared he won't take me seriously or whatever & just dismiss me I guess.
    I'm not very good at speaking to new people as it is but talking about what's going on just makes it 10x worse.. Hope I don't chicken out aha
    Thank you all again 🙂🙂🙂
    I'm sure he will take you seriously.

I agree with the above, if yo write it down then if you have trouble speaking he'll still be able to see all that's going on.

Try not to chicken out, getting help is really important, especially before it gets worse :hugs:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all again 🙂🙂🙂
    It's OK, they'll take you seriously:yep::hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.