Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has being "offended" become a professional industry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it has.

Someone, usually a public figure, says or does something that "professional offendees" jump on because they find a way to construe the statement or act in a way that might offend at least one person or a handful of people.

Professional offendees are paid to write articles on being offended; they are paid to give interviews; they are paid to work in charities and other organisations which publish statements saying how offended they are; they are paid to try and change the law to become more draconian; they are paid to publish books on the topic, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yea it kills discourse and therefore people splinter off, people get angry (the ones who repress their views) and nothing ever gets a solution

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reaver daniels)
    political correctness is an evil that rivals the censorship in stalin's russia or hitler's germany.
    lol. 10/10
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Yeah, some people do go out of their way to find everything offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    I think it has.

Someone, usually a public figure, says or does something that "professional offendees" jump on because they find a way to construe the statement or act in a way that might offend at least one person or a handful of people.

Professional offendees are paid to write articles on being offended; they are paid to give interviews; they are paid to work in charities and other organisations which publish statements saying how offended they are; they are paid to try and change the law to become more draconian; they are paid to publish books on the topic, etc.
    *breaking news*

Oxford to establish first chair in Butthurt Studies at the Institute of Self Pity. A statue of that Batmanjelly woman is to erected outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Lol, I'm visiting Oxford uni today. Ironic that you should say that. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps my post offended you ? You can claim compensation. Anonymously ofc.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Oh absolutely, I'm so deeply offended that I think I'll go to my safe space. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't forget that my post may have offended many other people who are too afraid to come forward. You can help these tragic victims by publicising the way i have treated you.

:nopity:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    *breaking news*

Oxford to establish first chair in Butthurt Studies at the Institute of Self Pity. A statue of that Batmanjelly woman is to erected outside.
    I am offended by your phallocratic language, which you probably use to mock the accomplishments of proud women throughout history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I am offended by your phallocrat language, which you probably use to mock the accomplishments of proud women throughout history.
    the first holder of the Chair of Butthurt Studies is shortly to be announced. the favorite is Ms Millicent Tant currently Assistant Dean of Wimmin's Things at the University of Spunkbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I am offended by your phallocratic language, which you probably use to mock the accomplishments of proud women throughout history.

:ahee:

ReputationRep:

:ahee:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    No offence but I think it has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    No offence but I think it has.
    Offence taken.

:mob:

ReputationRep:
    Offence taken.

:mob:
    Offence wasn't intended. :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    Offence wasn't intended. :eek2:
    that is neither here nor there. your persistent refusal to accept responsibility for the hurt to my feelings just makes it worse.

:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it is something that is spread throughout the political spectrum. Just look at Bahar Mustafa, a previously irrelevant diversity officer who rose to fame simply because people were lining up for the opportunity to be offended by her.
    Or Katie Hopkins who makes a living out of being offended by people being offended.

ReputationRep:
    that is neither here nor there. your persistent refusal to accept responsibility for the hurt to my feelings just makes it worse.

:cry2:
    Noo, I apologise. Forgive me?
    I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..
    :dong:

ReputationRep:
    Noo, I apologise. Forgive me?
    I didn't mean to hurt your feelings..
    :dong:
    :hand: my lawyer will be in touch.

ReputationRep:
    :hand: my lawyer will be in touch.
    Looking forward to reading a book about this.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to reading a book about this.
    do you realize how offensive that is to people who are unable to read ? :fuhrer:

is there no end to your wickedness ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.