Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling left out at university? Watch

Announcements

I've just started my second semester at university and my last semester ended pretty good. I had sorted out my house for next year, I had a good group of friends from my halls, course and societies. But now I feel like things have changed.

Now, I'm finding that a lot of these friends aren't what they cracked up to be. It was my birthday the other weekend and I wasn't expecting loads but at the very least I was expecting some people to come out. The people in my block who came out completely ignored me the entire night and the girl who I considered one of my best friends at university disappeared with some guy for the entire night instead of celebrating my birthday with me. As for the people on my course, quite a few of them said they were too busy to come out and then I saw them in the nightclub later on with other people. So they clearly didn't want to go out with me, not even on my birthday.

The disappointment of my birthday has sparked quite a lot of questioning into whether my friends are genuine. Because now I feel myself being let down on a day to day basis.

Now I find that I'm being left out of a lot of things here, especially with my course friends. I was ill with tonsillitis the first week back after exams so I missed some lectures and since then they've been organising stuff without including me. I see all this stuff on snapchat of them hanging out in each other's rooms or going out together and it makes me really upset.

Even worse, a girl on my course who I considered a good friend of mine is purposely leaving me out of things, even when she's in my building. She knows the girl in the room opposite to mine and she always comes over to see her but she doesn't even bother knocking on my door and saying hi. This even happened the day after my birthday (she couldn't come on the night out for some reason) and all I could hear was her giggling with the girl in my block. This really upset me and if anything I feel a bit betrayed by her as she never makes the effort with me.

Literally just now I saw that she was with some girls on my course tonight, girls that I'm pretty sure don't know her as well as I do, and where was my invite? It hurts so much when I see all this crap on snap chat and it breaks me.

I'm questioning now whether I have any friends at all, I'm sick of always feeling left out and like an outsider. What should I do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just started my second semester at university and my last semester ended pretty good. I had sorted out my house for next year, I had a good group of friends from my halls, course and societies. But now I feel like things have changed.

Now, I'm finding that a lot of these friends aren't what they cracked up to be. It was my birthday the other weekend and I wasn't expecting loads but at the very least I was expecting some people to come out. The people in my block who came out completely ignored me the entire night and the girl who I considered one of my best friends at university disappeared with some guy for the entire night instead of celebrating my birthday with me. As for the people on my course, quite a few of them said they were too busy to come out and then I saw them in the nightclub later on with other people. So they clearly didn't want to go out with me, not even on my birthday.

The disappointment of my birthday has sparked quite a lot of questioning into whether my friends are genuine. Because now I feel myself being let down on a day to day basis.

Now I find that I'm being left out of a lot of things here, especially with my course friends. I was ill with tonsillitis the first week back after exams so I missed some lectures and since then they've been organising stuff without including me. I see all this stuff on snapchat of them hanging out in each other's rooms or going out together and it makes me really upset.

Even worse, a girl on my course who I considered a good friend of mine is purposely leaving me out of things, even when she's in my building. She knows the girl in the room opposite to mine and she always comes over to see her but she doesn't even bother knocking on my door and saying hi. This even happened the day after my birthday (she couldn't come on the night out for some reason) and all I could hear was her giggling with the girl in my block. This really upset me and if anything I feel a bit betrayed by her as she never makes the effort with me.

Literally just now I saw that she was with some girls on my course tonight, girls that I'm pretty sure don't know her as well as I do, and where was my invite? It hurts so much when I see all this crap on snap chat and it breaks me.

I'm questioning now whether I have any friends at all, I'm sick of always feeling left out and like an outsider. What should I do?
    Maybe you should try and focus on societies more- the people in those will have more in common with you than just people on the same course or in the same place as you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.