My job are making me work illegal amounts of hours? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Posted anon as people I work with go on this site and I can be identified.

On Friday, they have booked me in to work a 9 and a half hour shift, with at most a 30 minute break.

I am aged 16. I have looked and "the law says that you must not work more than eight hours a day" (quoted from link below:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...nd-rest-breaks)

What do I do & is it illegal? Should I talk to my manager? Thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
PS I work in retail
crashingLife()
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is Illegal. Talk to your manager. Is he the kind of guy who is caring enough to consider this. How much do you need the job as you face the possibility of getting fired for complaining.
carajayne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I was 16 and in retail I faced the same issue! Employers have ways of bending these laws as it's not as clean cut as it may look. I'm not sure about the length of your shift but I do know that if you are working over 4.5 hours, you need a minimum 30 minute break by law. Therefore it's against the law for them to make you work that long with such a short break. I'm pretty sure you cannot work more than 8 hours unless you agree to it or special circumstance
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ahsenrauf)
It is Illegal. Talk to your manager. Is he the kind of guy who is caring enough to consider this. How much do you need the job as you face the possibility of getting fired for complaining.
I think at that point I would have a conversation with my boss about the concept of unfair dismissal.
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
I think at that point I would have a conversation with my boss about the concept of unfair dismissal.
he will laugh at you, because everyone knows the probability of a 16 year old actually getting a lawyer and suing his employer for something so trivial is essentially zero

ahsenrauf is correct. Bring it up, but be prepared to lose the job if you push too hard.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by poohat)
he will laugh at you, because everyone knows the probability of a 16 year old actually getting a lawyer and suing his employer for something so trivial is essentially zero

ahsenrauf is correct. Bring it up, but be prepared to lose the job if you push too hard.
Maybe I was different as a 16 year-old.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads