Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are modern housewives lazy? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    No need to insult me, but let me counter your mentioned points, the pay gap issue has been blown out of proportion, as more and more women are working in the same positions as their male colleagues, and hence earning equal salaries.
    We now have a stronger list of women candidates in politics, and they all have a voice and a presence in politics.
    Yes of course more women are getting more senior roles in jobs. It doesnt mean you can say sexism is completely gone in the UK because you, and I and everyone else knows thats not true.
    About politics the point is the same... we have more female MPs but still look at the cabinet (i think) there are only a few females. Look in parliament (i think) there are 100 so female mps, rest are male. Out of 650. That is no where near the social gender demographics of the country...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Aspiration to be a housewife? Jesus Christ, what a waste of talent and potential.

Honestly though, I'd rather live alone than br a housewife.
    Agree. Being housewife is actually like the biggest waste of potential ever. Unless you are a mum who somehow sets up a business from home and runs the home. I do think fathers should do more and newer ones are. Both parents should be allowed to work, and they both have to work together to keep the house running. Thats how a family works!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I mean we have women being employed to take on important positions and roles within our society.

Women have a lot more power and influence and less boundaries to dictate in what they can and cant do.

In a nutshell sexism is almost a thing of the past, I doubt you have been refused a job for being a woman
    Women have a lot more opportunities today than they did in the past, that is true. But of course sexism still exists, not just in the workplace but in the way women are judged for the way they act, dress, etc. You see politicians like Hillary Clinton being reported on in the media for the clothes they wear, you don't see that with their male counterparts.

(Original post by pereira325)
    Agree. Being housewife is actually like the biggest waste of potential ever. Unless you are a mum who somehow sets up a business from home and runs the home. I do think fathers should do more and newer ones are. Both parents should be allowed to work, and they both have to work together to keep the house running. Thats how a family works!!!!
    :five:

Equal contribution to income of family

Equal contribution to well being of family

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course more women are getting more senior roles in jobs. It doesnt mean you can say sexism is completely gone in the UK because you, and I and everyone else knows thats not true.
    About politics the point is the same... we have more female MPs but still look at the cabinet (i think) there are only a few females. Look in parliament (i think) there are 100 so female mps, rest are male. Out of 650. That is no where near the social gender demographics of the country...

Compared to how it was in the 50s it has less of an existent impact.
    And what is stopping more women from joining politics and increasing their ranks within politics?
    I am sure the bigoted generations of politicians are dying out, so there is no excuse, to be put off.
    Women have the power now to change things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    oh okay, haha my stance is what i believe in also dya know what inb4 means
    yeah i do why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice__90)
    Women have a lot more opportunities today than they did in the past, that is true. But of course sexism still exists, not just in the workplace but in the way women are judged for the way they act, dress, etc. You see politicians like Hillary Clinton being reported on in the media for the clothes they wear, you don't see that with their male counterparts.

Because it is mainly other women who judge the choice of clothing, hair etc.
    The media can be biased,sexist and racist but then again I do not take the daily mail to be serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    when im older i am hoping to be a housewife, not bc im lazy and uneducated as i would love to work and i am hoping to get a master after my degree. its bc i would rather sacrifice that to look after my family and children and dedicate myself to them
    Do you know you can do both? You don't have to sacrifice anything. I am a married mum of two with a job, in education and my husband works. We are fully dedicated to our kids without having to sacrifice anything.

ReputationRep:
    I assume it to be a lazy aspiration for a woman in wanting to be a housewife, when sexism is almost non existent and the gender roles have changed.
    Children don't raise themselves.

You can outsource it to a nursery/school/boarding school as much as you like, but those people don't love your children, they just look after them. Bottom line is, children need love, individual care and attention to flourish. Institutions can provide for your children physically but they can't give what a parent can give in individual attention and support.

You're right, looking at being a "housewife" from a purely housework sense, there are lots of useful modern gadgets to reduce the workload and that opens the opportunity to spend more time with your children, volunteer in the community, pursue your own education projects, which is great. But gadgets arn't people and they can't provide what a mother/father can.

Working yourself to the bone in some office-job doing a million hours a day for some unknown guy in a suit isn't the only way to contribute to society, you know?

If my wife was earning enough money so that I could stay at home, look after the children, do housework and teach myself whatever I wanted all day. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    yeah i do why?
    what does it mean idk

ReputationRep:
    I know one couple where the woman had the "good job" and the man the "worse job"

So he became the house husband and brought up the kids, while she earned bigger money and there was no childcare bill. After a while, the kids were older, he did a bit of work, and then returned to full time work.

Whatever families choose to do is fine by me, the kids seem well adjusted.
    I know a mum who shoves her kids in care from 7-7 . Why have kids?

Gadget wise there is less to do but back in the day "housewives" did a far longer day 7 days a week than the "breadwinner" and many organisations immediately sacked any woman who married.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I mean we have women being employed to take on important positions and roles within our society.

Women have a lot more power and influence and less boundaries to dictate in what they can and cant do.

In a nutshell sexism is almost a thing of the past, I doubt you have been refused a job for being a woman
    Being refused a job isn't the only symptom of sexism in a society. And if you think that people aren't still afraid of hiring women of 'child bearing age' on occasion then you really have no idea how the world works. Women are held to much higher standards of appearance, and have to age invisibly in order to be accepted by many people. Have you noticed how many old/ugly men appear on TV with a young, beautiful woman by their side? Do you think there are no older/ugly women wanting to present on TV? Have you noticed how BBC panel shows have one woman on them but rarely more than one? Even though there are women working as comedians out in the real world. Have you noticed how women at awards shows are criticised for what they're wearing/how much cleavage they are (or aren't) showing/their makeup whereas men are asked more about their work? Do you think that the attitude we see towards men and women in the entertainment industry doesn't trickle down into the real world? Women feel so much pressure to look good, be pleasant, and have a good brain in the workplace.

And the very fact that you chose to talk about housewives in the opening post of this thread is sexist. Some men do want to stay at home too, you know. Are they lazy? Or do we ignore the men when there's an opportunity to criticise women?

Sexism is non existent in the UK in this decade. Period.
    Have you thought about writing a book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)

You can outsource it to a nursery/school/boarding school as much as you like, but those people don't love your children, they just look after them. Bottom line is, children need love, individual care and attention to flourish. Institutions can provide for your children physically but they can't give what a parent can give in individual attention and support.

You're right, looking at being a "housewife" from a purely housework sense, there are lots of useful modern gadgets to reduce the workload and that opens the opportunity to spend more time with your children, volunteer in the community, pursue your own education projects, which is great. But gadgets arn't people and they can't provide what a mother/father can.

Working yourself to the bone in some office-job doing a million hours a day for some unknown guy in a suit isn't the only way to contribute to society, you know?

If my wife was earning enough money so that I could stay at home, look after the children, do housework and teach myself whatever I wanted all day. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

SS
    Preach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    Being refused a job isn't the only symptom of sexism in a society. And if you think that people aren't still afraid of hiring women of 'child bearing age' on occasion then you really have no idea how the world works. Women are held to much higher standards of appearance, and have to age invisibly in order to be accepted by many people. Have you noticed how many old/ugly men appear on TV with a young, beautiful woman by their side? Do you think there are no older/ugly women wanting to present on TV? Have you noticed how BBC panel shows have one woman on them but rarely more than one? Even though there are women working as comedians out in the real world. Have you noticed how women at awards shows are criticised for what they're wearing/how much cleavage they are (or aren't) showing/their makeup whereas men are asked more about their work? Do you think that the attitude we see towards men and women in the entertainment industry doesn't trickle down into the real world? Women feel so much pressure to look good, be pleasant, and have a good brain in the workplace.

And the very fact that you chose to talk about housewives in the opening post of this thread is sexist. Some men do want to stay at home too, you know. Are they lazy? Or do we ignore the men when there's an opportunity to criticise women?

Have you thought about writing a book?

I have included employment since it is the most relevant subject of sexism, and my points do reinforce my statements about the relationship between sexism and employment.
    I believe it to be women who continue the societal traditions of female beauty.
    Who purchases and consume the product?
    women buy magazines, write comments and judge harshly.
    But in a way you have listed the main positive traits of feminism, as women do need to take care of their appearance and act civil.
    And I should write a book or a blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Aspiration to be a housewife? Jesus Christ, what a waste of talent and potential.

Honestly though, I'd rather live alone than br a housewife.
    It's only a waste of talent and potential if you think that having a career is more important than having a family. People have different priorities and different personalities. For some people, having a family and staying at home to raise their children is fulfilling their potential regardless of what they might have achieved out in the working world. For others, reaching the top of their career is fulfilling their potential. Still others will do a bit of both. I think we have to understand that not everyone shares our own individual worldview. What we see as someone wasting their potential might be them fulfilling all their dreams and living the life they want more than any other.

ReputationRep:
    Pay gap
    There isn't one, not compared like for like (but it's never compared like for like because that would end the argument).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)

SS
    I like you. :yep: You beat me to it and you did it better than I would have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    what does it mean idk
    It means that someone is about to say that thing

ReputationRep:
    It means that someone is about to say that thing
    ohh okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Housewife is good there's nothing wrong with a women sticking to domestic roles

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.