Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are modern housewives lazy? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Children don't raise themselves.

You can outsource it to a nursery/school/boarding school as much as you like, but those people don't love your children, they just look after them. Bottom line is, children need love, individual care and attention to flourish. Institutions can provide for your children physically but they can't give what a parent can give in individual attention and support.

You're right, looking at being a "housewife" from a purely housework sense, there are lots of useful modern gadgets to reduce the workload and that opens the opportunity to spend more time with your children, volunteer in the community, pursue your own education projects, which is great. But gadgets arn't people and they can't provide what a mother/father can.

Working yourself to the bone in some office-job doing a million hours a day for some unknown guy in a suit isn't the only way to contribute to society, you know?

If my wife was earning enough money so that I could stay at home, look after the children, do housework and teach myself whatever I wanted all day. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

SS
    Nicely said.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, it is tough raising good children and making sure the house is in order.

The idea that going out to work is something a woman should do, is liberal propaganda pushed by the capitalist elite.

ReputationRep:
    "Modern housewife" has become my oxymoron of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pereira325)
    You are actually an idiot.
    Pay gap, females in senior positons.. females in bloody parliament our soverign body compared to men for goodness sake. And so many more examples.
    You sound like typical garden variety guy who's a feminist because he thinks it will help him get laid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pereira325)
    Im guessing that was due to some gender law that was passed. OKAY. But it still exists according to stats... so it being legal or illegal doesn't help as people are still doing it, no? A minority but still so.
    That is according to stats from the ONS. In 2013 ish, for women aged about 20-40 they earned the same amount as men per hour worked excluding overtime.

The Equal Pay Act was passed in 1970. Some older women still working today entered the workforce even before the act was a twinkle in Barbara Castle's eye, abd certainly before its implementation and attitudes of hiring managers changed.

Women who entered the workforce before the early 1990s however suffer from a pay gap of some 12-20% IIRC.

Averaging across the groups produces the 7-13% pay gap statistic we often hear for the UK.

But it is plainly facile to quote that as a women/men pay gap since there are two groups of women here. It is more right to call it an "entered workforce pre-1990 vs post-1990" pay gap.

The big question for the coming decades will be will the post-1990 women continue to earn the same as men as they reach their 50s, 60s, implying we really did change things circa 1990, or is it more the fact of having children in your late thirties, meaning these women's pay, even per hour excluding overtime, will fall like their elders.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.