Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Honestly, why do people even stress about getting a 2:1 in 2016? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread is making me depressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutuBEng)
    Yeah but only something like 15-20% of graduates get grad-level jobs.
    That's not true, unless you're at a bottom tier university doing a subject that wouldn't normally link into a graduate level job.

Go and have a look at the stats for your degree subject at your uni at www.unistats.ac.uk

If you get a 2:1 you will have far more opportunities open to you, but if you don't want to have those opportunities then *shrug*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are you even in uni at all if this is your attitude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camilli)
    While some see laziness in OP, I detect a faint whiff of depression. Might want to have that looked at in case there are some fairly simple things one can do to correct it.
    Psychiatric diagnosis purely through online? Thousands of young people are facing these difficulties for real. If OP really was depressed, they'd be asking for help or not saying anything whilst battling themselves inside. This sounds just like a moan.

ReputationRep:
    i think i know this op. he is studying for open university engineering, and doesn't even have gcses in science and maths. good luck to him i say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by librarygirl)
    Psychiatric diagnosis purely through online? Thousands of young people are facing these difficulties for real. If OP really was depressed, they'd be asking for help or not saying anything whilst battling themselves inside. This sounds just like a moan.
    Perhaps, but while OP goes to check it out, we'll all have a much better day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camilli)
    Perhaps, but while OP goes to check it out, we'll all have a much better day.
    Maybe. Or he could just get a grip. Either way, we can hope most people have a better attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Person up OP - do your best and make your time at university count. When you do get an interview and they ask you about your result and you tell them the 'reasoning' behind your mark they're going to think you're a fool.

ReputationRep:
    It just doesn't seem worth the effort for such a small window of opportunity. Most people don't get grad-level jobs even with a 2:1.
    Within engineering I wouldn't be surprised if most people DO get grad level jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Within engineering I wouldn't be surprised if most people DO get grad level jobs
    Not necessarily for open uni, and definitely not for people who don't complete their degree??

ReputationRep:
    I mean, everyone graduates with a 2:1 anyway and still spends months unemployed, living with parents, before getting a job in Asda?

I'm in my final year of Engineering where the difference in the amount of work I'd need to put in to ensure getting a 2:1 is huge compared to a 2:2. I kind of just think, why bother? If I'm going to be unemployed anyway it seems like I may as well just not stress, chill and get a 2:2? They both seem the same to me in terms of uselessness.
    To be blunt, if you can't get a grad job with a 2:1 or 2:2 in engineering you either went to a piss poor university or you are a piss poor candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Not necessarily for open uni, and definitely not for people who don't complete their degree??
    Well then they don't have an engineering degree so that's irrelevant.

A quick Google shows graduate employment from OU degrees is generally higher than most other unis. I guess that's unsurprising as people have a,lot of respect for people that are able to totally self motivated their way through a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but only something like 15-20% of graduates get grad-level jobs.

For the amount of extra work needed to get a 2:1 over a 2:2, it almost doesn't seem worth it especially when you can end up with 59.9%.
    That was me :ahee::facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A quick Google shows graduate employment from OU degrees is generally higher than most other unis. I guess that's unsurprising as people have a,lot of respect for people that are able to totally self motivated their way through a degree.
    I would imagine it also has something to do with a higher proportion of people at the OU being mid-career already, or at least having more real-world experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I would imagine it also has something to do with a higher proportion of people at the OU being mid-career already, or at least having more real-world experience.
    True. If you have the determination to take a degree while working you have to be a very hard worker. You're not going to sit around unemployed after...

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with what you are saying.

ReputationRep:
    True. If you have the determination to take a degree while working you have to be a very hard worker. You're not going to sit around unemployed after...
    But the fact that the op thinks that most people with a 2.1 end up living with parents and getting a job at asdas, would lead me to believe that something is wrong here. Like this individual does not have a degree, or the career motivation to get one. Just saying??

ReputationRep:
    If you're happy to spunk 36k (or more if your course is longer) on a 2.2 degree then by all means go for it. I paid the 3k fees and it wasn't even about the job, it was that I didn't want to spend all that money on a *****y degree that nobody really considers a degree. The few people I know with 2.2s are working in non-graduate crap paid jobs. Yet everyone I know with a 2.1 has a good job, either a grad scheme or a job that required a degree anyway...people always go on about how hard it is to get a good job but I don't know anyone who has actually struggled with a 2.1 in a good subject from a good uni so I think it's not the 2.1, but what degree and where. If you do media at Solent then yeah it's not going to help you as much as Chemistry from Bristol, that's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Long story short - get your money's worth and get the 2.1, it's worth it in the end. Do you really want to say your whole life 'I got a 2.2' because I wouldn't want to. Where my aunt works they bin CVs with a 2.2 on them.

ReputationRep:
    Are you just saying this in hope that people buy it and your job competition is reduced?

ReputationRep:
    Its hard enough getting a job with a 1st

Its even harder getting a job with a 2.1 - the generally used cut off point for many companies..

You see how this is going? not to mention the fact that your degree is essentially an investment, your coming out with a debt, why not make it worth it?

You should be aiming for a 2.1, thats pretty much the standard grade for anyone who can consider themselves competent, i'm not a snob or anything, but if your getting lower than a 2.1, unless you have genuine mitigating circumstances, your thick, not a bad person, but clearly thick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.