Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, frankly my sexuality seems to be so f****d up. I've identified as straight since day one, that is until the beggining of last year when I started to look at guys sexually and my desire for sex with girls almost became non-existent over night. Since then I've slept with 5 guys and I've enjoyed the experience, but, I can't see myself being in a relationship with a guy, it just doesn't appeal to me. It's like I only have sexual attraction towards men but no desire of actually being with one. Yet, I can see myself bein in a relationship with a woman but I have no sexual desire towards them. It's like I'm bi, but I'm not because there's only sexual desire towards men. I'm so confused and at the moment I've just stopped any kind of sexual relationships because it just confuses the hell out of me, that said I can't hide from it forever. I'm also confused as to how I used to identify as straight but that literally seemed to change over night. How can that happen? Do you think all this is just a phase? Me experimenting? Am I Bi? Gay? It's just one big mess!

ReputationRep:
    There's no need to define your sexuality. Just experiment and see what feels right. There's no need to panic or rush to define yourself, just give it time and enjoy yourself for now.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, frankly my sexuality seems to be so f****d up. I've identified as straight since day one, that is until the beggining of last year when I started to look at guys sexually and my desire for sex with girls almost became non-existent over night. Since then I've slept with 5 guys and I've enjoyed the experience, but, I can't see myself being in a relationship with a guy, it just doesn't appeal to me. It's like I only have sexual attraction towards men but no desire of actually being with one. Yet, I can see myself bein in a relationship with a woman but I have no sexual desire towards them. It's like I'm bi, but I'm not because there's only sexual desire towards men. I'm so confused and at the moment I've just stopped any kind of sexual relationships because it just confuses the hell out of me, that said I can't hide from it forever. I'm also confused as to how I used to identify as straight but that literally seemed to change over night. How can that happen? Do you think all this is just a phase? Me experimenting? Am I Bi? Gay? It's just one big mess!
    Oh my god this is the creepiest thing because it describes me down to the letter. I'm sexually attracted to men, enjoy sex with them, but would never actually want to be in a relationship with one whereas I actually want a wife and kids despite not feeling much sexual attraction towards women. I thought I was the only person in the world with this weird combination of the two, glad to see I'm not alone!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like right now you are heteroromantic but homosexual. Not an easy place to be so I feel for you. The heteroromanticism is probably a result of cultural conditioning though, and because committing to being homosexual and homoromantic will deprive you of the 'normal' life and reproducing naturally with your partner. You are also likely concerned about others' opinions, including your family perhaps. Keep exploring your homosexuality, but never go with a girl in an attempt to suppress your sexuality because it will be miserable for you both in the long run (unless you're with a girl you do feel genuine sexual attraction towards).

ReputationRep:
    Hello, gay and not person

ReputationRep:
    I can really empathise with you, for a long time I was convinced I was straight and imagined growing up and having a husband, once I started questioning my sexuality it was really scary as I felt like I had to choose between relationships where I wouldn't be happy regardless of the gender of the person. At first I thought I had no romantic attachment to women but over time that has changed, I think a lot of it is growing up in an environment where we're just expected to have a relationship with a certain gender but as you grow up you realise that there is no such thing as an average in all aspects of life, I think you just need to allow yourself the freedom to not limit your feelings, do what you want to do and you can have a long, happy and fulfilled life with any gender if that is what you truly want

Obviously I don't know how old you are, but I would assume you're fairly young.

I was / am in pretty much the same situation as you. There are a very very small number of exceptions i.e. men I would be happy to have a relationship with, but for the most part I'm heteroromantic.

Best advice I can give you is, be yourself. If these are feelings you have, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. At the moment it may feel weird because thats not how 'normal' people are, but the older you get the more you'll realise that sexuality is fluid, and not solid. Enjoy yourself, and believe me as you get a bit older, defining yourself to a rigid set of rules becomes less and less important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I can really empathise with you, for a long time I was convinced I was straight and imagined growing up and having a husband, once I started questioning my sexuality it was really scary as I felt like I had to choose between relationships where I wouldn't be happy regardless of the gender of the person. At first I thought I had no romantic attachment to women but over time that has changed, I think a lot of it is growing up in an environment where we're just expected to have a relationship with a certain gender but as you grow up you realise that there is no such thing as an average in all aspects of life, I think you just need to allow yourself the freedom to not limit your feelings, do what you want to do and you can have a long, happy and fulfilled life with any gender if that is what you truly want
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    Obviously I don't know how old you are, but I would assume you're fairly young.

I was / am in pretty much the same situation as you. There are a very very small number of exceptions i.e. men I would be happy to have a relationship with, but for the most part I'm heteroromantic.

Best advice I can give you is, be yourself. If these are feelings you have, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. At the moment it may feel weird because thats not how 'normal' people are, but the older you get the more you'll realise that sexuality is fluid, and not solid. Enjoy yourself, and believe me as you get a bit older, defining yourself to a rigid set of rules becomes less and less important.
    Never were truer words spoken by two excellent people. :hugs: keep up the good work guys.

ReputationRep:
    take your time... don't rush it
    your body may take the time to decide which one are you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.