The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

BA International Development - Kings or SOAS

Currently I am siding with SOAS - any reason I should go with Kings over them?
Hey, I'm a second year in International Development at King's. So the structure of the course is pretty unique, you learn the basics in the first year and by the second year you start to choose your regional modules and your more advanced modules depending on your interests. Plus it is a very multidisciplinary course as it is very strong in political science as well as in economics and statistics. If math is not your thing then in the second year you just don't choose economics but another modules. Finally, all the academics are really enthusiastic and I think the international development department is different from other departments in the University, here you're not just a number, you're a person and you'll always received the support or help that you need.
If you want to know briefly about the modules, I have taken, they are China and Development, Migration, Political Economy of East Asia and of Latin America.
Hope this was helpful!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
That's great thank you! How big are your class sizes please?
So lectures are with the whole class, in my year we are around 40 students. Then you have seminars, the seminars are no more than 10 people. We normally have one seminar per lecture
Also, when you take optional modules the sizes of the class can vary. For example in my migration module we are 8 people, whereas in the global trade are around 50. This happens because some optional modules are from other departments such as the political economy or geography. But the seminars are not more than 12 people.
Hey, I'm a first year at King's doing International Development. I can't say much about SOAS, but I think going with King's was a fantastic decision. The course has been thought out by some of the best academics in a bunch of academic disciplines, Economists, Political Scientists, Sociologists, Anthropologists, to name a few. I think the course at King's has a wider scope for what you'd want to do in the future as well, from the private to the public sector. I've found this to be particularly helpful looking for internships in the summer too. Also, something I love about King's is the vibe. We have about 60 people this year, and its VERY international, I'd say people from over 35 nationalities at least. Good luck with the selection, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Hey, I'm a first year at King's doing International Development. I can't say much about SOAS, but I think going with King's was a fantastic decision. The course has been thought out by some of the best academics in a bunch of academic disciplines, Economists, Political Scientists, Sociologists, Anthropologists, to name a few. I think the course at King's has a wider scope for what you'd want to do in the future as well, from the private to the public sector. I've found this to be particularly helpful looking for internships in the summer too. Also, something I love about King's is the vibe. We have about 60 people this year, and its VERY international, I'd say people from over 35 nationalities at least. Good luck with the selection, and let us know if you have any other questions.
hey, I'm interested in King's international development course and was wondering what was your AS grades and your A level predicted grades? Hope u dont mind me asking x
Original post by Rohanmalik

hey, I'm interested in King's international development course and was wondering what was your AS grades and your A level predicted grades? Hope u dont mind me asking x

Quick Reply

Latest