Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do men still get married? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Most of you on these threads sound as if you will be spending your lives gaining and protecting personal wealth rather than forming relationships. How sad.

You may benefit from going to spend an afternoon in a care home with a coherent elderly candidate who had the same mindset and see how that works out in the long run. Then make a comparison with an elderly person from an attentive family network. Or read up on it.

I long ago ceased feeling any sympathy for pitiful elderly men lamenting their regrets about not committing to a relationship. I can see many still heading boldly in that direction.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    In my experience it's due to cultural and religious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm~ because other women and men still want to get married to them maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Most of you on these threads sound as if you will be spending your lives gaining and protecting personal wealth rather than forming relationships. How sad.

You may benefit from going to spend an afternoon in a care home with a coherent elderly candidate who had the same mindset and see how that works out in the long run. Then make a comparison with an elderly person from an attentive family network. Or read up on it.

I long ago ceased feeling any sympathy for pitiful elderly men lamenting their regrets about not committing to a relationship. I can see many still heading boldly in that direction.
    Most of the people on here are teens/early twenties, they've no idea of the value of money or a committed relationship because they've likely never had a career or reached total maturity to have a committed relationship. I'd be willing to bet most of their tunes will change 7 years down the line so it's not a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Prenups are meaningless in the UK.
    I was unaware of this. Care to expand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    I was unaware of this. Care to expand?
    Question not directed at me, but, my understanding is that they are more of an American thing and can be successfully challenged in UK courts fairly easily.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    I really don't understand it. You get all the benefits of marriage that you couldn't have gotten 100 years ago without getting married e.g. sex. You will just lose everything when you get a divorce? It's like buying the cow when you can get the milk for free?
    I still intend to marry simply because i see it as a symbolic act of ownership over the relationship and intend to find a woman that i feel is worthy of producing my heirs.

I do actually agree with your wider point (that divorce can shaft men) however which is why i would not recommend sharing details of wage rises and the like with the wife and also intend to put money aside in a Caymen's account or some such. while not declaring it in any divorce settlement. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    My parents are each others first love and happily married and I have no doubt they will never divorce. My parents are quite old fashioned and my mum is very different to women that exist today. If I was to find someone with the personality similar to my mum, I would happily get married but I fear they died out in the 60s. Infact, growing up I always had dreamed of getting married but that has pretty much died in the last few years. Society today is full of degenerate whores (including men), cheating is rife. I have no hope for a lasting marriage and hence I just don't see it's worth, men will only lose everything from divorce.
    I agree with your sentiments. I still believe women with values similar to your mother do exist although definitely less so among British/European society.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.