Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The German Federal Agency for Political Education has released a video explaining the origins and meaning of Jihad

Not sure what to think about this tbh

Can someone more knowledgeable about Islam please verify what they say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The German Federal Agency for Political Education has released a video explaining the origins and meaning of Jihad

Not sure what to think about this tbh

Can someone more knowledgeable about Islam please verify what they say?
    To put it brief, Jihad = struggle and generally there are 2 types. The major one is the struggle against yourself (not to commit sins) and the minor one (that ironically is often seen as the major) is simply defending your religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    To put it brief, Jihad = struggle and generally there are 2 types. The major one is the struggle against yourself (not to commit sins) and the minor one (that ironically is often seen as the major) is simply defending your religion.
    So Jihad is actually a good thing?

It gets a lot of bad press

ReputationRep:

Because a lot of terrorists such as ISIS deem Jihad, their 'struggle', to be murdering innocent people in the name of Allah.

The concept of Jihad does have good intentions. If you struggle to improve the world around you and help elevate others and their quality of life, then great. If you use Jihad as an excuse to break the law, oppress others, recklessly use violence to intimidate and silence then obviously it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    From the Hadith:

It was narrated that ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah said:
    “I came to the Prophet and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded.’ Grade: Sahih

ReputationRep:
    Despite the good intentions, I wouldn't recommend using jihad for this "good purpose" because it already has too many negative connotations associated with terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Noted historian of Islam Bernard Lewis

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  207.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    Noted historian of Islam Bernard Lewis

Views: 173
Size:  207.1 KB
    Read the bit before it and after mate

ReputationRep:
    Basically:

The Germans know the **** really is gonna hit the fan with extremists running riot either raping or committing terror attacks but also members of the far-right will begin fighting back, attacking innocent people whose only crime is looking a little too dark and now they want to put a lid on it all until the next election.

ReputationRep:

Jihad means to strive. There are different types of jihad which are categorised into four main groups. I'm not going to go through it all but essentially they cover seeking knowledge, being patient, calling people to Islam, physical fighting against tyrants and oppressors, and jihad in defending the religion against innovation / reformation.

The greatest jihad is to speak a word of truth against an oppressive tyrant.

At-Tariq ibn Shihab reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as he put his foot in the stirrup, “What is the most virtuous struggle (jihad)?” The Prophet said, “A word of truth in front of a tyrannical ruler.

Source: Musnad Ahmad 18449
    Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to An-Nawawi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlskep)
    From the Hadith:

“I came to the Prophet and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded.’ Grade: Sahih
    May I ask from which book is this from and do all sects of Islam agree upon this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    May I ask from which book is this from and do all sects of Islam agree upon this?
    Ikr that was like a random hadith just fetched out of nowhere.

ReputationRep:

Essentially it's a 'good thing' but yes it's often misinterpreted (in my opinion of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    You are talking about the greater and lesser Jihad? The Hadith that supports this is not a sahih Hadith and isn't found in the major Hadith collections if I recall correctly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Read the bit before it and after mate
    I have. I shall post it here. Along with a link to the book itself.
    Before
Views: 113
Size:  97.3 KB
    Attachment 503435503437
    After
    Attachment 503435503437503400
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    You are talking about the greater and lesser Jihad? The Hadith that supports this is not a sahih Hadith and isn't found in the major Hadith collections if I recall correctly?
    Who decides if it's Sahih or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Sunan Ibn Majah » Vol. 4, Book 24, Hadith 2794 » The Chapters on Jihad

Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)

http://sunnah.com/urn/1276430

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlifunArnab)

At-Tariq ibn Shihab reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as he put his foot in the stirrup, “What is the most virtuous struggle (jihad)?” The Prophet said, “A word of truth in front of a tyrannical ruler.

That contradicts this:

“I came to the Prophet and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded.’ Sunan Ibn Majah Vol. 4, Book 24 Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)

http://sunnah.com/urn/1276430

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    It was narrated that ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah said: “I came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded.’”

This is the Chain of Narration:

Abu Bakr bin Abi Shayba
    Ya'la bin 'Ubaid bin Umayya al-Tanafasi
    Hjaj bin Dinar
    Muhammad bin Dhkwan
    Shar bin Hushab al-Asha'ri
    'Amr bin 'Absa al-Salmi

It is found in Sunan Ibn Majah Book: 24, Hadith: 2900 and graded Sahih

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlifunArnab)

At-Tariq ibn Shihab reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as he put his foot in the stirrup, “What is the most virtuous struggle (jihad)?” The Prophet said, “A word of truth in front of a tyrannical ruler.”

Your own linked source doesn't support this. Firstly, the wording is different and says "among the greatest of jihad" not "the greatest" or "most virtuous". Secondly, it's classed as Hasan, not Sahih.

This is in contrast to the Sahih hadith that claims the greatest jihad is that of bloodshed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.