Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    do Greenwich students receive free electronic textbooks for every module on their courses and free printing?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Khatiya!

The University of Greenwich offers the Aspire scheme in conjunction with John Smith's, which is for Full-time home/EU undergraduate students starting programmes in 2016-17 charging the £9,000 fee who are not in receipt of a Greenwich Scholarship or an Access Scholarship will be provided with a £200 smart card to be spent against learning resources to encourage investment in their personal development.

This is a single award which will be payable in the first year of study only, and students do not need to apply for this bursary. Further details of this can be found here:
    http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/finance/...e/scholarships

Our libraries have an extensive selection of textbooks, e-journals and other resources and facilities that you will be able to access as one of our students. You can start having a look now at the resources with have via:
    http://www.gre.ac.uk/it-and-library/...brary-services

Printing is not free for students, but as a University, we offer heavily subsidized rates to our students, which I believe is currently 5p a page for standard A4!

We can discuss this further if you wish =)

Nathan

ReputationRep:
    wouldit be weird if i recommended/suggested that i think the universitywould benefit from a form of learning platform called “kortext”whichis takinga different approach to teaching which allows students toaccess books for each module online and for free without having to carryingpilesof heavy books to and they can access it through their pc, laptop,tablet or smartphone.

Also,allowing student but staff to benefit from it as Search, highlight,add notes, share, print, copy, paste, and Create collaborativegroups, instruct and share notes and teachers wouldn't have to search around looking for a book when it can accessed form theircomputer screens
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khatiya)
    wouldit be weird if i recommended/suggested that i think the universitywould benefit from a form of learning platform called “kortext”whichis takinga different approach to teaching which allows students toaccess books for each module online and for free without having to carryingpilesof heavy books to and they can access it through their pc, laptop,tablet or smartphone.

Also,allowing student but staff to benefit from it as Search, highlight,add notes, share, print, copy, paste, and Create collaborativegroups, instruct and share notes and teachers wouldn't have to search around looking for a book when it can accessed form theircomputer screens
    Hi Khatiya,

An interesting suggestion about 'Kortext' you have suggested. I spoke with our Library services this morning, and they directed me to the following:

"The Library has purchased nearly 13,000 electronic books (e-books) available for students and staff to read (and in some cases to download) online via different publisher platforms. Almost 9,000 titles are available in the MyiLibrary platform and nearly 3,000 in Dawsonera. Additional collections have been purchased in EBSCO, the Cambridge Books Online and Oxford Scholarship Online platforms. The main format used is PDF, ePub and HTML.

While an increasing number of titles are available in electronic format, this does not apply to all printed books. Be aware that many e-book titles are available solely for purchase by individuals as they are sold directly to the student market via VitalSource, CourseSmart and Kortext. In these instances, the licensing restrictions imposed by the publishers mean that such titles are not available for libraries to purchase for their collections."

In essence, the library services are unable to access some content as it has been made available only via commercial means, and as such it is impossible for the library services to obtain them in order to supply to our students for free, as are the other 13,000+ e-books! =)

As mentioned however, we do have the Aspire scheme available to eligible students which is designed to help our students access the materials that we cannot supply for free.

Nathan

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.