Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When in shops do you make small talk with the person behind the counter? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes or no

ReputationRep:
    Usually the people behind the counter in my local shops aren't that interested in chat

ReputationRep:
    No, I live in London.

ReputationRep:
    yep, i work in retail and i love chit chatting away with customers when im on the till. It makes me feel a lot more positive/optimistic about my day. So naturally whenever I'm shopping I like to chat with the person serving me.

ReputationRep:
    No I use self checkout to avoid small talk.

ReputationRep:
    No. I hate small talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No i just buy something and move on

Yeah, out of a bit of politeness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    No, I live in London.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, just a thank you and then I leave.

ReputationRep:
    Most aren't native English speakers so I don't want to put any pressure on them while they're working

Not talking about "Indian shop owners" in England btw - I live abroad in the Middle East so there are a lot of people who come for work from East Asia to support their families back home

If they're forthcoming, yes. I'm aware not everyone is into small talk so I'd never force it on them, but if they open up a conversation, I'm always up for it.

I think it's great. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carrot_Cake_13)
    Nah, just a thank you and then I leave.
    Before moving on this is what I say "Thank you or have a good day" or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanuma)
    Before moving on this is what I say "Thank you or have a good day" or both.
    Yep.. I'd also find it awkward to start small chit chat with them. If they did then I'd have no problem talking back.

ReputationRep:
    If they're not grumpy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    If they're forthcoming, yes. I'm aware not everyone is into small talk so I'd never force it on them, but if they open up a conversation, I'm always up for it.

I think it's great. :awesome:
    the way yeh say it.. its as though yeh go shopping just for the chance of some small talk at the till xD

(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    the way yeh say it.. its as though yeh go shopping just for the chance of some small talk at the till xD
    :rofl:

They're contractually obliged to stay there. They won't leave like everyone else does. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    :rofl:

They're contractually obliged to stay there. They won't leave like everyone else does. :cry2:
    yeh just earned yourself a like...more to do with the fact I dislike the number 47 then anything...

(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    yeh just earned yourself a like...more to do with the fact I dislike the number 47 then anything...
    I'll take it.

Tried to follow back, but the mobile site is (as usual) being glitchy, so let me know if it hasn't went through.

PS. Assuming you mean follow. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends always make small talk so I'm forced to interact in some way or another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.