Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stop saying 'mental illness' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Peter Gerlach has some very interesting ideas. A Stanford graduate in mechanical engineering, he dedicated the closing few decades of his professional career to what he describes as 'family systems therapy' which seeks to resolve intra-family conflict with the entire family present rather than by attacking the issues of the individuals one-on-one. Many 'mental illnesses' and even widespread social problems are caused by early childhood trauma, and it is possible to repair this trauma later in life by engaging with 'sub-selves' in a kind of internal family systems therapy.

This doesn't sound revolutionary in psychology, but his approach to dealing with it is.

His channel is not helped by the slight confusion in which its videos are organised. It should be noted that there is a clear process which Mr Gerlach has designed the videos to be watched in.

I have chosen four of these videos for a brief outline of his position. These videos are not necessarily in the order presented on his channel and the miss out a great deal of content. They are intended only to provide a very brief overview.

The first he explains the mission of his videos:

In the second he identifies the global pandemic which has sparked his efforts:

And in the third, mental illness is an outdated term and the way they are treated are usually misled by an erroneous understanding that such difficulties go away when symptoms go away.

The long-established theory of the 'personality sub-selve' is taken to greater depths in the fourth:

gerlach's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/gercacn
    the accompanying and non-profit website: www.sfhelp.org.

It is impossible to provide even an overview of his full programme here and further inspection is advised, but it would be great to hear what people think about some of the positions and theories he has adopted in his long period of experience. I am especially attracted to the idea of challenging the birthright and the massive simplification of mental health care in our own country.

I think that the essence of this will come to form the basis for our approach to mental health care in this country. The Commons Select Committee should be tasked with investigating its desirability over the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    I see where he is coming from

but in practice it'll be difficult to implement, since most people hide family issues when they go to a GP and ask to 'feel happier'. And then the GPs are just as clueless with so limited information about their patient that the patients end up on lots of medication or go long distances/wait long hours for therapy. But then again, is it the GP's job to act like a group of Jeremy Kyles and butt in on matters that are supposed to be within one's family?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that as a society we need to look at the wider context in all cases of 'mental illness' but whether he or the next wo/man is the best advocate for this I'm not sure. I've seen a couple of his videos in the past they're long and unnecessarily 'jargonny' at times, it makes things a bit more obscure than they need to be. This is a red flag for me I dunno if I trust him tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    But then again, is it a GP's job to act like a group of Jeremy Kyles and butt in on matters that are supposed to be within one's family?
    My GP loves doing this the guy should have been a social worker or moved into a small corner of our house...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    I agree that as a society we need to look at the wider context in all cases of 'mental illness' but whether he or the next wo/man is the best advocate for this I'm not sure. I've seen a couple of his videos in the past they're long and unnecessarily 'jargonny' at times, it makes things a bit more obscure than they need to be. This is a red flag for me I dunno if I trust him tbh.
    I've always found that he explains things very simply.

What reason do you have to distrust him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I see where he is coming from

but in practice it'll be difficult to implement, since most people hide family issues when they go to a GP and ask to 'feel happier'. And then the GPs are just as clueless with so limited information about their patient that the patients end up on lots of medication or go long distances/wait long hours for therapy. But then again, is it the GP's job to act like a group of Jeremy Kyles and butt in on matters that are supposed to be within one's family?
    It is quite obvious that you have not watched all of the supplementary videos I have provided. He is not advocating lots of family talk sessions but a parallel version that is carried out independently inside onself between the sub-selves that he and other respectable psychologists believe can be said to make up our personalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    I've always found that he explains things very simply.

What reason do you have to distrust him?
    I don't know the guy so I guess it's preconceptions I can't help

ReputationRep:
    Just because you don't understand what he's saying you distrust him? You're always welcomed to pause the video and look up words that you do not understand.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the guy so I guess it's preconceptions I can't help
    This man forewent a lucrative career to dedicate himself to therapy and has now spent an inordinate amount of time producing these videos which constitute a kind of online scientific paper while within a nursing home. He doesn't make any money from it, except from Skype calls which is understandable given that each new issue presented will cost him time and effort to respond to properly. He seems to be a thoroughly decent man whatever one thinks of his positions on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Just because you don't understand what he's saying you distrust him? You're always welcomed to pause the video and look up words that you do not understand.
    You think I don't do that if I need to :rolleyes: but I dunno I have an undeniably strong sense that he's just floating his own boat.

I'm not an idiot don't get me wrong I'm not discounting him I know out of all the videos he's made I will agree with a lot of the content but can't help feeling how I feel somethings iffy.

This man forewent a lucrative career to dedicate himself to therapy and has now spent an inordinate amount of time producing these videos which constitute a kind of online scientific paper while within a nursing home. He doesn't make any money from it, except from Skype calls which is understandable given that each new issue presented will cost him time and effort to respond to properly. He seems to be a thoroughly decent man whatever one thinks of his positions on this.
    You know him? Good mates yeah? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    You think I don't do that if I need to :rolleyes: but I dunno I have an undeniably strong sense that he's just floating his own boat.

I'm not an idiot don't get me wrong I'm not discounting him I know out of all the videos he's made I will agree with a lot of the content but can't help feeling how I feel somethings iffy.

You know him? Good mates yeah? Lol.
    Ok, I understand.

ReputationRep:

You are publicly expressing your baseless emotional suspicions that this old and distinguished man is 'floating his own boat' when all reason goes against what you're saying. Disagree with what he says or call in to question his motives or self-interests but do so in reasoned argument or do not do so at all. This is especially the case when he has spent years compiling what must at that age as any other an exhausting feat of endurance for no money and so obviously out of genuine care for his subject and community.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry but you sound like an idiot. You are publicly expressing your baseless emotional suspicions that this old and distinguished man is 'floating his own boat' when all reason goes against what you're saying. Disagree with what he says or call in to question his motives or self-interests but do so in reasoned argument or do not do so at all. This is especially the case when he has spent years compiling what must at that age as any other an exhausting feat of endurance for no money and so obviously out of genuine care for his subject and community.
    cry me a river

ReputationRep:
    Any useful contributions? I think there is money in this.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is money in this.
    Lol great motive

ReputationRep:
    Lol great motive
    Money makes the world go round.

ReputationRep:
    Lol great motive
    I was speaking figuratively. As if betting on a horse that will win/be a success.

ReputationRep:
    not sure why anyone would consult a mechanical engineer about their mental problems :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking figuratively. As if betting on a horse that will win/be a success.
    if you say so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    not sure why anyone would consult a mechanical engineer about their mental problems :hmmmm2:
    Was Thatcher unsuitable to enter Downing Street three times on account of her having studied chemistry at university? Ludicrous.

This man spent over three decades working in family therapy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.