Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Car insurance cancelled Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I had my car insurance cancelled on 03/02/16 but was not informed until the 10/02/16 so I was driving illegally for a week with no idea.

My insurance was cancelled as I did not get my telematics box fitted within 14 days of the policy being opened. I had an appointment booked for the 19/01/16 but cancelled it - with confirmation from my insurer - a day before. We then rearranged it for the 27/02/16 which was fine. The policy being cancelled was not my fault however. I had to go to work but my dad was in all day to give them the key. I found out on the 10/02/16 that they turned up but there was no answer. They didn't knock or call, or leave a message on either my home phone, or my mobile. I had no missed calls and there was no evidence of them turning up - which I know categorically that they didn't.

Yesterday I recieved "photographic evidence" that they did turn up, in the form of a picture of my front door.

So I have two theories: they did turn up but on the 19/02/16 which would be great as it was confirmed cancelled and so not my fault OR they didn't turn up at all and then turned up on an odd day to take a picture of my door as evidence.

I understand the latter is far fetched but I know owe them 1,332 for the existing duration of my insurance - so you can understand why they'd go to these lengths to prove I didn't answer the door as they get 1,332 and do not have to insure me!

This insurer has been awful from the start and would love to get out of this mess! It's a horrible stress that I don't need and it's keeping me off the road for an unknown time.

Please help me as having a policy cancelled now brings my insurance up to 10,983 a year! People have advised me to cancel the direct debit and just refuse to pay as a picture of my front door can not possibly hold up in a court of law!

I really need help on this matter and I apologise for such a long post!!

Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.