Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've done my Junior Cert (as I live in Ireland) and to say the least they're mediocre (To my standard!!! I'm in no way trying to disrespect students who got around the same as me)
    Anyways, I got:

English - B
    Maths - B
    Irish - C
    French - C
    Science - B
    History - B
    Geography - B
    Business Studies - C
    Classical Studies - B
    Civic, Social, Political Education - A

You take the Junior Cert in 3rd year (i.e Year 9?) so they're equivalent to GCSEs I'm presuming.
    I'm just wondering if these grades are okay to still go on with applying for medicine in UK? (My goal is either Kings or Dundee)

I'm also taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English, Irish and French for my Leaving Cert (Again, the equivalent exams to A Levels, IB, etc.). Your best six grades are considered for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suleksy)
    I've done my Junior Cert (as I live in Ireland) and to say the least they're mediocre (To my standard!!! I'm in no way trying to disrespect students who got around the same as me)
    Anyways, I got:

English - B
    Maths - B
    Irish - C
    French - C
    Science - B
    History - B
    Geography - B
    Business Studies - C
    Classical Studies - B

You take the Junior Cert in 3rd year (i.e Year 9?) so they're equivalent to GCSEs I'm presuming.
    I'm just wondering if these grades are okay to still go on with applying for medicine in UK? (My goal is either Kings or Dundee)

I'm also taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English, Irish and French for my Leaving Cert (Again, the equivalent exams to A Levels, IB, etc.). Your best six grades are considered for it.
    Most Universities are more interested in your A-level grades, rather than GCSEs, unless you're applying for Oxford. To be honest, you could have better grades because applying for medicine is very competitive, however you've got your grades, and there's nothing you can do about that. I suggest you secure A/A* at A level in your subjects, with a good interview and some voluntary work, and then you may have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suleksy)
    Anyways, I got:

English - B
    Maths - B
    Irish - C
    French - C
    Science - B
    History - B
    Geography - B
    Business Studies - C
    Classical Studies - B

Assuming that all your JC/LC subjects are honours? It depends on the university. Some take GCSE (=JC) results into account, others don't, but many may have a minimum standard. However, you will need to have a good score at the UKCAT (kind of like the HPAT) or the BMAT (more subject knowledge based), plus medical work experience, plus a reference letter, plus volunteering, plus a really good personal statement, as well as good grades (including in your mocks, which is what they'll probably base your offer on).

Dundee require AAAAAA (I presume A2s would be included), to include Chemistry, plus at least a B in pass Biology. As far as I can see there's no JC requirement: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2131383

This link might be useful, although it's very English-focused:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2131383

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.