Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can i still do AS at the age of 18 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Sadly, there are no further education colleges around my area that do A levels, most of them focus on adults and provide training for employment.

I want to do sociology and philosophy and HSC BTEC.
    There is a possibility 6th form colleges may still take you, you'll just have to try and investigate further. If it's possible, try broaden your such to outside your immediate town for a further college if necessary.

(Original post by Inexorably)
    There is a possibility 6th form colleges may still take you, you'll just have to try and investigate further. If it's possible, try broaden your such to outside your immediate town for a further college if necessary.
    I guess I will have to do that.

ReputationRep:
    So, I really want to do A levels but I am not sure if any colleges or sixthforms will let me do them at the age of 18.

I am currently doing a BTEC and choose this route because I thought I was certain of what I wanted to do with my life. Sadly this is not the case anymore.

I want to switch to A levels, who will let me.

I can't afford to do A levels in a private centre.

Can anyone help me/give me advice?
    I'll be starting A Level study at a FE college at the age of 20 so there is definitely the possibility for you to do the same.

Have you completed the BTEC? You should be able to get funded A Levels if you have not completed a full Level 3 qualification. If you will have achieved a full Level 3 BTEC then you will probably have to make a contribution but many colleges offer flexible payment options.

As other users have suggested to you, you might have to widen your search to a nearby town/city as Sixth-Form colleges are unlikely to admit you on to a 2 year A Level programme but FE colleges may be willing to do so depending on their individual policies.

Don't give up - if this is what you want to do then there is a way for you to do so!

(Original post by Phoenix_96)
    I'll be starting A Level study at a FE college at the age of 20 so there is definitely the possibility for you to do the same.

Have you completed the BTEC? You should be able to get funded A Levels if you have not completed a full Level 3 qualification. If you will have achieved a full Level 3 BTEC then you will probably have to make a contribution but many colleges offer flexible payment options.

As other users have suggested to you, you might have to widen your search to a nearby town/city as Sixth-Form colleges are unlikely to admit you on to a 2 year A Level programme but FE colleges may be willing to do so depending on their individual policies.

Don't give up - if this is what you want to do then there is a way for you to do so!
    Out of interest, do you have to pay and I have started my first year of BTEC in September 2015 and will finish in June.

But I want to drop out and wait till next September if I get accepted to sixthform.

I guess I will have to search

And btw why can't sixthfrom admit an 18 year old to start As levels? is it because of the age?.

(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    Well there are people in my class who are 18 doing AS levels so I guess it's fine. I'm in a sixth form.
    Is it a sixthfrom college or a sixthform within a secondary school?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, do you have to pay and I have started my first year of BTEC in September 2015 and will finish in June.

But I want to drop out and wait till next September if I get accepted to sixthform.

I guess I will have to search

And btw why can't sixthfrom admit an 18 year old to start As levels? is it because of the age?.
    No I don't because I don't have a full Level 3 qualification.

Your best bet is getting in contact with the institutions that you're interested in and taking it from there. Both Sixth forms attached to schools and and Sixth Form Colleges have students between the ages of 16-19 and you would be 20 by the end of your sixth form studies which is why they wouldn't take you. FE colleges have adult learners and so are usually willing to admit you onto A Level programmes.

(Original post by sr90)
    I started mine at sixth form aged 18. I had extenuating circumstances though.
    If you don't mind me asking, how bad were your circumstances and was it a sixthform college or a sixthfrom within a secondary school?

Also how was it like being in classes with students younger than you?

ReputationRep:
    Theres someone whos 20 in my class whos doing his AS.

But it depends on the college.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, how bad were your circumstances and was it a sixthform college or a sixthfrom within a secondary school?

Also how was it like being in classes with students younger than you?
    Age means **** all once you leave school. There was an obvious maturity gap in 1st year but in 2nd year it made no difference.

(Original post by sr90)
    Age means **** all once you leave school. There was an obvious maturity gap in 1st year but in 2nd year it made no difference.
    okay.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a sixthfrom college or a sixthform within a secondary school?
    I guess it's a sixth form college as there's no lower school but it's not like a vocational college.

(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    I guess it's a sixth form college as there's no lower school but it's not like a vocational college.
    Ohhh, my college is just vocational and has lots of adult learners.

(Original post by Kholmes1)
    Theres someone whos 20 in my class whos doing his AS.

But it depends on the college.
    Is it a further education college, sixthrom college or a sixthfrom within a secondary school?

It seems like sixthfroms within a secondary school won't accept 18 year olds to start AS levels because of the funding?

Most institutions in my area are siththforms within a secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    So, I really want to do A levels but I am not sure if any colleges or sixthforms will let me do them at the age of 18.

I am currently doing a BTEC and choose this route because I thought I was certain of what I wanted to do with my life. Sadly this is not the case anymore.

I want to switch to A levels, who will let me.

I can't afford to do A levels in a private centre.

Can anyone help me/give me advice?
    Ok so, the 6th forms is slim to 0. Colleges which is 16-99 will most likely accept 18+ as your still at 16-18 and be able to be funded for the A-Levels.

I'm starting AS-Level next year for Chemistry/Physics and Maths at Canterbury College at 18 so...

(Original post by ckfeister)
    Ok so, the 6th forms is slim to 0. Colleges which is 16-99 will most likely accept 18+ as your still at 16-18 and be able to be funded for the A-Levels.

I'm starting AS-Level next year for Chemistry/Physics and Maths at Canterbury College at 18 so...
    Ohh ok but there is hardly any colleges round my area and I can't travel far because of expenses

ReputationRep:
    Ohh ok but there is hardly any colleges round my area and I can't travel far because of expenses
    What the county name?

(Original post by ckfeister)
    What the county name?
    SE London, if that is what you are after or do you mean the borough?

I don't really like displaying my location publicly.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would be able to depending on which school you would go to. There is a girl who is retaking her ASs and has transferred to my school and she is 18 and it has worked for her so I imagine it would for you as well.

(Original post by lucyfran)
    I think you would be able to depending on which school you would go to. There is a girl who is retaking her ASs and has transferred to my school and she is 18 and it has worked for her so I imagine it would for you as well.
    Hmmm....maybe

Do you go to a sixthform college or sixtfrom within a secondary school

ReputationRep:
    SE London, if that is what you are after or do you mean the borough?

I don't really like displaying my location publicly.
    London!? There a TON of colleges and you can get a london bus travel card or train card for students.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ons/18-student

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.